The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently i have been considering introducing a Bubble tip anemone into my tank - My tank has been stable for over a year now i didn't want to rush into anything though since i have only been in the marine trade for about 2 years. So i want to know everything there is to know about caring for anemones. Please help out :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
when you initially add it to your tank, turn off any pumps you have as the anemone will be blown around before it has time to get a grip on your rock. After that, the anemone will move into a place where it is comfortable, so do not be surprised to find it somewhere else other than where you first placed it

·
Registered
685 Posts
also keep your eye on it for few days. She will move around the tank to find perfect spot so You will need to move any corals out of her way as she will sting and kill them. Care is easy - feed it twice a week or every 3 days and that's about it. Don't be scared if You find Your nem shriveled up to nothing day after feeding as bubble tips do that to get rid of the waste.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
what type of lighting do you have, if you dont have the proper lighting, it will not survive, nems never need fed with the proper tank conditions, there are no white BT's, they are bleached

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

·
Registered
339 Posts
If your BTA is white or clear, if given the proper light and care, it will begin to regain its zooxanthellae again, as mine was almost gone, but now he glows in the nighttime :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
just like any reef tank, the params should be:
0 Ammonia + Nitrite + Phosphate
<10 ppm Nitrate
pH 8.1-8.3
78-83 degrees temp
kH 8-12
Calcium 400-480

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.