The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, when my tank is done cycling, i would like to get a pair of true percula clowns, i was wondering if anyone could recomend a certain maybe "hardy" anemone i would be able to put in my tank, that they would host. I have a 10 gallon tank, and my lighting is 36 watts is that not enough? Thanks!

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Bubble Tip anenomes are hardy..but I would add a little more light. And you have 36 watts of what kind of lighting?

The other thing to take into consideration, just cause you have an anenome in the tank for them, they might decide to host with something else. Mine hosted with my bubble tip for a short while, and then decided to host with my toadstool coral. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, well than what kind of corals can i get than? And I have 36 watt Power Compact Light.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Prip17,
I have a 10g with 36w pc lights also. I have an asst. of things growing.
Green Star Polyps
Asst. zoo's and polyps
Blastomusso
Anthelia
Xenia
Frog Spawn
Gorgonia and Ricordea

HTH,
Nicole

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thanks, couldnt ask for any more help than that. What kind of fish do you have going in there? :)

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I had two percs in mine when I had a 10 gal.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Prip17,
I have a little yellow goby. He's the cutest thing. Adds lots of color and tons of personality to the tank. I also have a Red Headed goby but he's aloof, secretive and boring (I wouldnt recommend one). And I have a filter feeding crab of some sort. He's orange and white. Its neat to see his "fans" in action. Had a pygmy wrass but he was not all that I expected him to be and sadly he passed to the big tank in the sky.

I am trying to keep the things in my tank to scale...all very small. I am thinking about getting another goby one day....maybe a Citron.

TTL,
Nicole

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an eleven gallon nanocube with the JBJ 50/50 24 watt pc lighting and I have added many things to in the last 1.5-2 months that my tank has been running for. I don't really have names for all of the softies that are in due to the fact that I have a friend with a fish store that has donated a few things but he lives far enough away that I can't always pick his brain as to what is growing inside my little aquatic world.
I do however know that I have
1 Blue spotted Jawfish
1 Blood Shrimp
1 frag of Fox Coral
3 mushrooms
1 star polyp
1 piece of recordia
1 good sized clump of zenia
1 piece of something that kinda looks like pink grass with green tips
1 large tan and pink colored toadstool looking softie
1 blue legged hermit
1 scarlet legged hermit
several snails
approx. 16 lbs of LR with the things that grow on that.
In other words you have a lot of options as to what you may harbor in your aquarium.
I think my next aquisition will be a open brain coral, does anyone know if the different color combos behave differently?

·
Registered
384 Posts
don't get anemone, any slip on your top offs, etc will kill the thing, not worth it, my clowns host in frickin' majanos, they will find something to host in, so don't sweat it....besides most anemones may outgrow such a small tank

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Red headed gobies. They take a bit to break out of their shells but when they do, they have so much personality. Justin has two in his 10 gal nano, concentrating his efforts more into the corals. They play tag and play hide and go seek with each other and are so easy to feed.

Ray

·
Registered
37 Posts
prip17,

i have a little green bubble-tip anemone in my 10 gal and he seems to be doing pretty good (water top-offs and everything). i hear the rose ones are just as hardy, but look so good with the clowns that they charge $100 and up for them.

i've also heard that some bubble tips are clones that will split when small, due to the nature of their original reef, so i would go with one of those (about $20-50). the only thing with the the sensitive anemone is, just a little stir of the sand in that small tank and the whole thing gets cloudy and he gets ticked off and puckers up.

i was hoping he would eat my damsel so i could go get a clown... :)

i was also hoping he would outgrow my tank as an excuse to upgrade to a bigger one!

also:

marinedepotlive.com has a fair clownfish/anemone pairing chart.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Something that may not be stretch is to get hairy mushrooms and/or ricordia mushrooms. I have seen perculas, ocellarius, and clarkiis host on a rock that had the ricodias on them. I will tell you this, my wife had a condy that had a clarkii in a 20 gal tank. Sadly the clarkii got into a fight with a yellow tang and lost when we moved everything into bigger tanks. The condy since looked like it was gonna die. I am not sure what clowns do but it seems to turn into a semi dependant relationship. Anyways, we have a 4 striped damsel of all things to actually take up hosting duties for the condy and now the anemone looks as healthy as ever. (I say host, but the damsel doesn't sleep in the anemone, but it does drop food for it )

Ray

1 - 16 of 16 Posts