The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I put in a red bubble tip anemone a couple of days ago and love the way it adds another element to the tank. I would love to get a few more to add some more depth and activity to the tank, but idont really know much about them. Are there certain ones that i should look out for, as well as ones to avoid? How many is too many? Do they need the t5 lighting? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, its the same tank. as far i have have seen in my HOURS on end of watching this tank, the butterfly has stayed far away from the anemone and pays it no attention. Do you think he might be a pest in the futre if i wanted more anemones? Should i consider removing him from the tank? Do you think any of the other fish would be hazards as well?

·
Registered
657 Posts
the copperband and one or two other eat aiptasia anemones, but I don't believe they'll eat others, Not 100% positive on that, I've had a rose bubble tip for a bit more than a month and it has doubled in size. I'm told if you feed them weekly silversides, shrimp etc they grow and split fairly quickly so you won't need to buy others the one you have will split. Others say they only feed theirs once a month or so and with good lighting they do very well they just don't split as often, Well that's my .02 from my limited experience with these beautiful creatures

jd

·
Lost Fish
1,203 Posts
If you already have a bubble tip, I would go with more bubble tips. The reason for keeping it only BTAs is other anemones will fight. They will move all over trying to sting the other anemones. I have not experienced this with BTAs. You may only want to put a few in because they will split, not always though.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I have a free BTA that came in on some live rock. It has grown VERY quickly under only PC lighting in my nano, it was 1/2" in size and in three months it has grown to over 4" in size. I feed it small pieces of thawed silversides once a week. It's pink and quite pretty. The problem with any anemone is they can detach and float around in your tank until they find a spot they like - which means it could be on top of your corals, polyps, etc. They are also quite messy when they extrude their waste. BUT all that being said, I like it, it does add another dimension to the tank.

HHC

·
Registered
657 Posts
the lighting you now have is very inadequate but the one you're going to is great, i just touch it with the silverside and it grabs on, kinda like a sticky trap.lol

jd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts