The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a carpet anemone in my tank that I am starting to worry about. I have had it for 2 weeks now. Ever since I bought it, it has periodically opened its mouth, but its hasnt been gaping as such- just enough so youd be able to fit a pea in there. I have a clarkii clown who lives in the anemone and she has been getting IN its mouth. Today his mouth is starting to look like its gaping, its opened much wider, I can see its insides etc. It also refused food which concerned me, although the clown has been feeding it.

When I bought the nem it was very very pale, which did concern me, but I was assured by a member of staff at the lfs that it was just an unusual colout morph and I had no reason to mistrust him as he has never given me bad advice in the past (until now?)- However since being in my tank the anemone has coloured up a little bit and is now a greenish grey colour, though it is still quite pale.

It has attached to a piece of liverock, is being kept under LED lighting (I have LPS and SPS who are happy in the tank so I figured lighting wouldnt be a problem?) and my water params seem to be in check- Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and Nitrates consistently stay at 10 despite my best efforts lol. Sg is 1.025. It is extremely sticky to the touch which is a good sign but this new development with its gaping mouth concerns me. It also deflates at night but so far has reinflated within a couple of hours of the lights coming on.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, I just took this pic- this is slightly larger than it usually is, but not the biggest Ive seen either...

The anemone is also more green in person lol, dont know why but the camera on my phone is awful for showing up colouration of corals etc :s

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also please excuse my firefish's tatty fins, he's been in the wars lately...jumped twice in one week, got caught in a net (not the friendly kind) when he jumped, and keeps getting his fins ripped by a mccullochi pseudochromis who is now behaving. Hoping it'll grow back soon now theyve all calmed down :)

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
There's no such thing as a white carpet anemone, it was bleached. It can be detrimental to the anemone if the clown keeps going in its mouth, so if it continues you may want to think about separating the two.
Feed the anemone every 2 days until it colors up. It doesn't have enough zooxanthellae in it yet to sustain itself with photosynthesis. You can feed it fresh fish, mysis shrimp, krill, squid, etc. but don't give it food that is bigger than its mouth.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been feeding it with a 50/50 mix of krill and mysis shrimp, and my clown does feed it (as well as be a pain lol) when Im feeding the fish as well so I doubt its going hungry. I will make sure to send some food direct to him every couple of days :)

I fed him about an hour ago (krill/mysis) and he closed his mouth while eating, but its just started re-opening. Like I say he has started colouring up a little but Im wondering if the clownfish is stressing him out... guess its a good thing she kicked the little one out of the anemone for now... though my goniopora isnt happy as he's gone to live in that instead, lol!

Thanks for your help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts