The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay - here go the lights. They are mounted on a shelf which is about 18 inches from the top of the tank right now so I can load the rock. The shelf will get lowered to 8" above after rock goes in. Note the ice-cap fan we installed above the water to suck out the hot air......

Does anyone thinik this will be a problem on an uncovered tank (since the custom sea life lights came with a "don't use on an uncovered tank" warning....)

Anyone see any drawbacks to this setup ---- speak now while it is still adjustable......

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
YM, thats basically "our lawyer made us say that" FWIW I run my VHO 4" over an open top.
As far as the fan, I would still add a second up as high as practical
Other wise Looking good lady :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Are the end caps on your CSL fixtures waterproof? If not, you may have a problem with salt spray/creep. They are not waterproof on my CSL hood. I had to put glass under my CSL ABS hood to prevent saltcreep water spray. I have VHO lights on another tank w/no glass top but the end caps on that are waterproof. Looks good though!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yup. specially since its all enclosed within the cabinet. at least two more would be my guess.

where are the fans venting to? into the next room? or just into the wall space?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wall unit has about 6 inches of wall space behind it - the fan vents to that. I also have a 10 gallon "extra water" container circulating with the tank water that will be covered so I think that will help keep the water cool. I am going to see how it goes at first and then add another fan if necessary.

I think the endcaps are waterproof - they are rubber......I will keep my eye on it and cover them with electrical tape if I have to (I did that on another tank I have and it worked pretty well at preserving the fittings).

I'll keep you posted. Water goes in today........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts