The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my hood done for my 46 gallon perfecto bow.

Tank specs.

Dual 400Watt Radium moguls
Dual PFO reflectors
Dual PFO 400Watt HQI Ballast
One 3/4" Sea Swirl
Tidepool SOS overflow
AGA 20L sump
1/5hp Chiller
4" radio shack 65 CFM fan
Perfecto Stand.
Octopus Aquacontroller II
Stoney Reef Kalk reactor
Auto top off vial a Grainger 2a554 float switch.
100lbs of South Down Sand
100lbs of Fiji from http://www.anchofish.com
DIY hood $50
CA 4000 return pump

To see progress shots of this tank, check out this thread!
Cooked Corals?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Stoneyreef! Those new lights are looking great!! This should get your reef growing really awesome!!:D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan exhausts in the very middle of the top of the hood, had to actually special order a 4" fan louver! Unbelieveable! Anyhow, the hole is acting like a smoke stack and you can see the heat rising up out of that hole! I can't wait until I get the fan installed with the louver! Should keep it nice and cool. Since I would rather run a cheap lil fan than the chiller!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, been running both halides for about an hour and the chiller kicked on! Running full bore, only down to 81.3

So I sat the fan over the hole I am going to install it into tomorrow. Hopefully that makes a difference!

Lighting schedule will be"

9am halide 1 on
12pm halide 2 on
2pm halide 1 off
5pm halide 2 off

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wow 800w of halides over a 46! hows that for a little light! I will imagine that your chiller is in for a full time job! Awesome

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YIKES! Sea swirl casing and center brace is melting! Lesson #1 never have stagnant air in your hood! So I temporarily rigged the two 4" fans, I was initially going to go with one, venting the top, so i sat that on top, and thought better safe than sorry, so I zip tied another in the back blowing air in. Tank temp is down to 80.5 now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is enough fun for me tonight, I have to be up at 6am to be to my day job at 7am. Then 2pm drive for 2 hours to get to an extra meeting this month at the college! Awesome when biology professor hosts a meeting at the local college with the college funded reef tanks!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So what did you decide to do for the hood design. How about a couple pics with the house lights on so we can see. I need to make the same hood eventually.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The house lights were on.

I took a piece of half inch plywood, set it flat on top of the tank and used a pen to trace the outline of the tank. I then went to the shop and carefully used a sabre saw and cut out the bow.

I then measured 1/2 way to the bow and added an inch or so and cut it in half for the hinge line.

On the sides, I used carboard beaded board glued together and then cut off half of the groove so the top 1/2" plywood top would fit flush.

I then took the bow part of the top and cut the correct width of 1/4" sanded plywood and using wood glue and paneling nails, slowly worked the plywood around the curve. When it was dry I counter sunk the nails, and filled and painted. I then attached the hinges and voila!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well here it is, a little cloudy from the last rocks being put in, tomorrow it is off to bait nassarius snails with a cube of frozen to get them out of the old sand bed!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts