The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Im moving in a couple of months, and need some advice on moving my aquarium. Its a 60gal tank, with 90lbs of live rock, some coral, inverts.....the works.

I only have to move it about 15km's, anyone have any advice??:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep, go to home depot and buy twelve 5 gal buckets and lids and make your tank the last thing you break down and move from your old place and the first thing you get set up in your new place ... take all your water and substrate and rock, divide in the buckets to a managable weight and your live stock in a separate bucket and you should be fine ... just make sure you clean the buckets out really well first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now if I didnt want to take out my substrate, could i keep an inch or so of water to keep the turbo snails and live sand in the tank? I have a truck that will fit the tank upright..

·
MICRO TANG
1,824 Posts
Now if I didnt want to take out my substrate, could i keep an inch or so of water to keep the turbo snails and live sand in the tank? I have a truck that will fit the tank upright..
How old is this tank? It may be a good time to replace the substrate.

I've seen it done successfully before. If you do though I wouldn't leave anything living like your snails in the water and I'd be sure to remove and discard as much of the water as possible when you get it there.
I'd also have a rubbermade or something at the new house full of new salt water to refill the tank when you set it back up. And make lots of new water to do several 50% water changes over the first week or so. There will be lots of die off in the rocks and lots of nasty released from the rocks and the substrate during and after the move.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, one of the options i was thinking of is upgrading to a larger tank. Setting up a 90gal at the new place, having the water ready, then just moving the livestock when the time comes to move. It all depends on finances of course haha.

·
MICRO TANG
1,824 Posts
Ya, one of the options i was thinking of is upgrading to a larger tank. Setting up a 90gal at the new place, having the water ready, then just moving the livestock when the time comes to move. It all depends on finances of course haha.
That'd be even better.

·
Smerg Plankton
164 Posts
I moved tanks many times. 5g buckets are great for water. I leave the sand in the tank with 1" of water every time with luck. Free styro foam fish boxes from lfs are great for live stock and corals with either free bags and rubber bands from lfs or zip locks are my fav.

·
Smerg Plankton
164 Posts
Just be patient, water takes while to clear. I usually pull every filter I have ever used out to clear it up so I can rock scape with a better view. Last time I had the sump running, 2 emperor 400 back packs, Aquaeon 30 and an Aqua Clear 30 running to keep the water semi see through-able.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.