The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank is set up next to a window in my house. during the winter months when it was nice an cool down here we frequently opened the house up to fresh air in the house. after review of my data collected from the ac 3 controller I noticed that my pH was much higher when the windows were open so here is my question.

I have been toying around with the Idea of running a "fart" :p fan from the window into a 4" dryer duct over the sump of the to assist in some fresh water exchange.

the other part to this is what if I ran a 1" tube from the duct to the skimmer allowing the skimmer to collect fresh air from outside and mix with the water.

has anybody done this and noticed a higher level of ph in the tank?

Thanks
Fred

·
Administrator
46,639 Posts
The culprit at work is is high in house CO2 levels, esp in winter when the house is sealed up to save heat. Co2 dissolves in SW pretty readily and produces carbonic acid which over time will chew up the systems buffer and cause a pH drop. I would start with feeding filtered outside air to the skimmer and see if that gets you where you where to be. Easier and cheaper than installing a fan and ducting, if you don't have to.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very good I'll go with what doug said.

PS here is florida or summer is your winter.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you we want to move to Colorado so we can enjoy 4 seasons.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hey Fred,

I have my airline to the skimmer go through the wall into the attic, then it attaches to a 3/4" pvc pipe up there that is about 40' long that goes over to the "shade" side of the house and goes down through the soffet. Outside, directly under the soffet, I have a canister with losts of floss, some 100 micro pad and about and inch of carbon.

It definitely helps with my ph. Last week, when it was a little warm here, I thought that the heat from the air in the attic (the intake was in the attic until about 5 days ago when I added the 40' of PVC) was driving my heat in my tank way high. Turns out there was a stuck on output on my APEX that wa keeping the heater partially one. The left side of the graphs is after I stopped using the hot air from the attic, the right side is after i discovered that the outlet was causing the heat and I started pulling fresh air again.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ran a hose to the window about four feet away and with in five minutes the ph had gone up 3 / 100's so I'm headed in the right direction.

this house has new windows and doors in all the openings except for one so it's pretty tight.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I was shocked at how much it affect the PH. I had a hose strung arcross the living for about 3 weeks after I found out how much it helps. You can tell from the graph, but I went from 7.8-8.04 to 8.5 to 8.25. I had to get the hose out of the living room and the only option was the up through the wall.

I recommend you put some type of filter on the end of it with carbon. If you want, I can take a pic of mine and put it up. You also have to be careful when you are spraying chemicals outside in the area of your intake.

With all this extra CO2 in the house, I gotta how it affects our health as well...Im always tired :)

What skimmer do you have? The higher the CFH, the Better.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an MRC 2 skimmer it does a good job i'm not sure of the gph right now I have a towel over the front of the hose for a filter plus the screen. I don't use chemicals on the lawn (it a rental house and i'm not waiting my money) I never thought about the carbon how often to you change it and what kind of benefits does it offer?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Im not sure how often to change it, I had it in the attic for about a month, then moved it outside about 5 days ago. They use carbon in air filters pretty frequently, so it's good for air. I will likely change mine every 2 months or so....unless I am told otherwise.

For the CFH (Cubic Feet Hour), I was refering the the amount of air your skimmer pulls...not your gph :)

I looked quickly to find yours, I couldn't...My Octo Extreme 160 pulls about 35 SCFH.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya that is what I meant I know the gph is 1100 per hour with pump on it. the cfh is unknown to my but my ph has gone from 7.85 to 7.90 with in about a 1/2 hour.

I would assume the cfh is related to the size pump on the skimmer as it uses a beckett system which creates a suction through skagg therefore it would be difficult to determine the cfh.

·
Registered
920 Posts
your right about the pump dictating the flow of air. My skimmer publishes the specs, thats the only reason I know mine :)

Most guys who really want to know buy a flow meter to put inline with their skimmers air intake line.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesMMPrice.cfm

Select "MMF with SCFH Air Scale" from the drop down. They are pretty inexpensive. the MMF-50 or 100 would be OK. Let me know if you get one...Id like to borrow it. ;)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I will be looking for a par meter before an air flow meter, however dad is in the middle of changing the heads in his monster miata and I might be able to con him into one. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts