The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I'm out for the night, I want to ask why people think this hobby is so addicting.

Now that I think about it, I'm a person that likes to collect things, hell, I have coin, stamp, book, model, cd, movie, bobblehead, and shotglass collections but never actually work on them day to day like I do to the tank. This is what I thought it was about at first; seeing how many different specimens of coral or fish I could collect but. . . .

The reef is different somehow, it draws me in calling my name, asking me to make additions, somehow make it better. I have fun cleaning my tank; it's time I get to spend not watching tv or eating, very peaceful. I sometimes even catch myself talking to my fish. . .and no I'm not crazy.

I just can't figure out what draws me in and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Luke

P.S. I ask this because I just got a six line and a electric blue hermit today. Those additions I think make the tank more mesmorizing, I have something else to stare at for an hour before I go to work, and for 4 hours when I get home.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
my thing is that with this hobby I can work with my hands, be creative, and be envolved with cool animals. Ive always had some sort of pet being mammal, reptile, or fish so it was inevitable for me to get into it. The funny thing is that my dad says its in our blood. He used to have walk-in birdcages for canaries, finches, and all sorts of other birds. My older brother that lives on the other side of the country also setup fish at his place and I didnt find out until recently. So I guess my dad is right in that its in our blood to have animals

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
There are just so many cool things you can add to a reef and the colors draw you in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
There is always something new in my tank that I didn't see yesterday. I love the fact that the longer the tank is running the better it becomes. It's about progress. I can also work at fine tuning things to make the system run more smoothly.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I think it's the beauty and the sense of accomplishment when things go right.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have always been interested in nature, I love Discovery channel and anything to do with animals. I makes me feel good to know I can keep healty animals, no matter what they are. This next comment may be a little strange but here I go: being a born again Christian I imagine how God created the universe putting things together a little at the time, everything complementing each other, it is really a work of art. Who would have tought of making all the animals on the ocean the way they are, it is trully amaising to me. I believe the reef is just a small part of God's creation and I like to reproduce/copy to have as a constant remainder of His greatness.
That is why I like my reef tank.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I like the picture Doug.

For me it is about the challenge and the growing of life forms. I love it when a new polyps grows out, or my SPS frags get bigger. I also like it because it lets me fiddle with stuff and find new ways of doing things.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I love my tank!! I watch it every night with my wife after the kids goto bed! I turn into a mouth breather and just stare at the tank. I dont know why I'm so hooked....Oh no here comes the shakes.../\/\/\/\/\/ LFS here I come..........aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
It's just something about the growth. Seeing these things grow and divide is better than any drug.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Great question...no clue though.

I think it's because it's so complex. Most other hobbies can be tricky, but for the most part, they're pretty straightforward. Painting/building model cars? Some get trickier...but the concepts still the same. Comic book/stamp collecting/etc...again, matter of getting the one(s) you want...but that's about it.

With this hobby, there's SOOO much education, so many varieties of set-ups, so many different types of equipement, so much frustration, so much reward. I think it never gets old due to all the variations.

just my opinion

·
Registered
524 Posts
whatevva said:
THAT'S why the first coral is always free!! :)

:lol: That's great Butch!!

When my husband first brought up buying a tank I was 100% against the idea. I said I would never help him or do anything for it and he was crazy if he thought he was getting anything bigger than a 20g.

Once everything was set up I was into it. Eventhough we just had a little 20g FOWLR it was so beautiful. The fish were gorgeous and had personalities like I never thought I'd see on a fish; and the life on the rock and changes that happened every day were amazing. I got really addicted when I started researching the hobby. There's something so interesting about the balance you have to maintain to keep your tank healthy and the science behind it.

Soooo within a couple months of me saying no tank ever, we were planning our beautiful 150g Reef!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
skeety said:
With this hobby, there's SOOO much education, so many varieties of set-ups, so many different types of equipement, so much frustration, so much reward. I think it never gets old due to all the variations.

just my opinion
That almost sounds loke Golf except "so much reward".....:lol: the more I play the worse I become.......:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts