The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AmQuel Plus is advertised to remove nitrates, nitrite, Ammonia, Chlorine and other.....Question...Is it suppose to smell so bad? Like a perm? I'm hoping I don't have a bad bottle.

·
Registered
835 Posts
i used to use it on my old freshwater tank and it did smell bad i dont know why though. i dont use it anymore becuase i dont like to add things to my tanks. also if you have a problem with any of those you might need to do a water change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I buy my RO and Salt water from the fish store where I do business. It's the same water they use. I probably don't need to use a product like AmQuel....you think?
it REALLY stinks. I couldn't figure out the smell until a few minutes ago.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
yes, AMQUEL stinks:

The active ingredient in Amquel is the sodium salt of hydroxymethanesulfonic acid, it also conains NaCl and wate. Amquel converts ammonia ( NH3) to its ionized, less toxic form as he ammonium iion (NH4+) until it can be broken down by the tank's bacterial processes and/or used by plants or zooxanthellae or algae as a nitrogen source. The hydroxymethane- end of the molecule reacts with ammonia to form a relatively non-toxic, stable water-soluble substance which is acted upon by the system's biological filtration. No getting around it, this stuff stinks. but is very effective and will not slow down cycling in new systems nor prevent cycling in established systems IME.

This reaction effectively removes the toxic ammonia molecle from solution. Even in water of low pH (under 7.0) the above reaction proceeds to completion. According to the manufacturer, "...this is because even at pHs below 7.0 there is always some "free" ammonia (NH3) and the AmQuel will scavenge it from the water." This evidently accounts for why AmQuel works faster at higher pH's and in saline waters (where ammonia exists as the ionized NH4+ which is both less toxic (does not cross biological membranes well if at all) and is more reactive).

Amquel said:
USE: One of the first products for chloramine and ammonia removal. It is very effective in binding the ammonia (NH3) where that it stays non toxic even when nitrifying bacteria are not fully active. Although safe for saltwater, I have seen this product lower pH (although use with Novaqua counters this), for this reason it is not the first choice in this type of conditioner (Prime is the favorite as stated earlier).

Ingredients are safe for both fresh and saltwater (when not over used).

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts