The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've probably read 100 different opinions as to whether or not amphipods will munch on palys/zoas. From my recent personal experience, I am about 100% sure that an amphipod bloom in my tank is directly linked to my pitiful looking paly frag. I'm noticing that the polyps are missing tentacles, and some of them are melting alltogether. No pox are apparent, and with very close observation, all I have seen different in the tank is a population bloom of amphipods, and I have observed larger pods are almost constantly running around around my palys.

Does anyone have advice in helping to save my palys? I'm going to attempt a freshwater dip to see what I can remove, until I can get to the LFS and buy a coral dip. Until now, they have been super healthy and have grown quite a bit.

Also, are the amphipods not getting enough food? Should I supplement my tank with something to reduce the chances they will munch on my corals??

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
The reason you are getting a large amount of pods is available nutrient for them to eat.
If you limit the available Nutrient they will slowly die off.
That being said I think you have something going on with your system to cause the Palys to be melting away.

Can you get a picture, and some tank specs up including parameters?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts