The Reef Tank banner

Ammonia spike .50ppm

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  gabe 
#1 ·
I have been testing my tank for a few weeks now and my tank has been doing perfect. I used instant cycle LS. I did a 50% water change monday and noticed what looks like smoke all in my water. After the water change I did use the bacteria supplement to keep things in check. I had been using test strips prior to the water change but decided to buy a liquid kit. I tested ammonia to be .50ppm at this point but nitrite/nitrate at .0ppm ph 8.2, salt at 1.026 I have tested everything multiple times. What should I do? I only have 2 clown fish I got 2wks ago and a red lip blenny I got last week to help clean the tank. Should I do another water change? Should I run carbon to clear the smoke/Cloud or is that normal?

Any help is deeply appreciated.

#4 ·
Sounds like this ammonia spike is due to your tank just cyclin. Since ammonia is the first stage of the cycle process, I think youre just starting out.......

You don't want to start doing water changes until your tank has finished cycling or else youre going to be caught in a never-ending cycling of your tank.

Also, if you have a sand base, is it a shallow sand bed or a deep sand bed?

If it's a deep sand bed, you never want to go farther than a 1/4" at the MOST into it. otherwise youre going to be releasing toxins into the water.

Forget the carbon. If youre running a filter system, use ONLY carbon. though I believe the "smokey" water is just the sugar fine sand not settled yet.

Also, BE PATIENT!!! this is not an option with saltwater aquariums. If you try to rush anything you might as well give up the hobby, because all you will be doing is flushing money down the toilet!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.