Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I have a huge ammonia and nitrate problem
readings at Nitrate: 10 ppm
Ammonia : 0.50 ppm
Nitrite : 0 ppm

DKH 11 and PH 8.4
tank is a 250 gal with a 50 gal refugium filter with 2 filters in it.
Reef tank with LPS and soft corals 3 tangs of about 4-7 inches, 3 damsels, 1 flam angel, crabs, shrimp, starfish.... been up and running for 1 year 4 months in current location, 3 years total. no new live rock added, about 350 LBS of live rock in tank and 20 in filter. lighting is 3 400 WT metal halide 1 is 14k the other 2 are 10k all 1 year old. tank temp is 75 degrees ( has chiller so temp range is 74-76). I have never had a positive reading on a test until now this problem also is happing with a red slime bloom.

water changes are done 2 times a month of 50 gal each time. I use Prime and top fin salt each time. NEW water tested at zero for Nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. using reef master test kits.

NOTE:my yellow tang killed 3 fish ( 2 yellow tangs and a 8 " blond naso") last month hence the low tank pop but there has been 3 H2O changes sence then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help, I have a huge ammonia and nitrate problem
readings at Nitrate: 10 ppm
Ammonia : 0.50 ppm
Nitrite : 0 ppm

DKH 11 and PH 8.4
tank is a 250 gal with a 50 gal refugium filter with 2 filters in it.
Reef tank with LPS and soft corals 3 tangs of about 4-7 inches, 3 damsels, 1 flam angel, crabs, shrimp, starfish.... been up and running for 1 year 4 months in current location, 3 years total. no new live rock added, about 350 LBS of live rock in tank and 20 in filter. lighting is 3 400 WT metal halide 1 is 14k the other 2 are 10k all 1 year old. tank temp is 75 degrees ( has chiller so temp range is 74-76). I have never had a positive reading on a test until now this problem also is happing with a red slime bloom.

water changes are done 2 times a month of 50 gal each time. I use Prime and top fin salt each time. NEW water tested at zero for Nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. using reef master test kits.

NOTE:my yellow tang killed 3 fish ( 2 yellow tangs and a 8 " blond naso") last month hence the low tank pop but there has been 3 H2O changes sence then.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe turn up the skimmer? Niteout 2 dosing will add beneficial bacteria that convert am. To ni. To na. I used it when setting up a very similar reef with lps and fish, inverts. Maybe the dead fish started a cycle? Lights old? People on here dont like dosing for anything you cant test for but i was dosing my new system after each w/c and adding new stuff or seen a am. Spike. So then i found this forum and stopped dosing. My tank is great on params now except phosphates which has nothing to do with ammonia

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
welcome to trt!

how deep is your sandbed? whats in the refugium? what are the "filters" you are talking about? what kind of water are you using? when you do water changes, do you siphon the sandbed?

that is a LOT of rock I n there. do you blow it off with each water change? do you clean the refugium at all?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
welcome to trt!

How deep is your sandbed? Whats in the refugium? What are the "filters" you are talking about? What kind of water are you using? When you do water changes, do you siphon the sandbed?

That is a lot of rock i n there. Do you blow it off with each water change? Do you clean the refugium at all?
+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the refugium has 1 inch deep sand bed with 2 inches of small rock and then about 20 Lbs of larger rock with Maiden's Hair (Chlorodesmis sp) and a ball of Chaetomorpha the size of a jug of milk. there is also a 2" x 2' x 15" section after the refuge of bioballs to keep the Chaetomorpha out of the pumps ( has 2 pumps that turn over all the water in the tank about every 1-2 hours) there are 3 powerheads in the main tank as well. and it has sock filtration and a protean skimmer in the sump also a UV staralier. the sandbed in the main tank ranges from 1" thick unger the rocks to 2" - 3" in frount of the rocks. water changes and additions are done using RO water ( the RO water is tested each time and also treated with prime just in case. I use topfin salt mix.

like I stated the NI is 0 but Na was 10, the fish kills are nothing new my tank is really agresive ( I have a maroon clown who killed nemo 1, 2 and 3 ) I have never lost a fish to a non murder. the tank has been set up in the current location in our home for 1 year 4 months, and 3 years total ( we moved it because it needed its own breaker due to the power it draws) the live rock and sand is from our old tanks that we had set up for 3 years and combined into one larger tank. so all in all the live rock and sand are over 6 years old, and so are most of the fish in the tank. ( only the yellow tang is new we have had him for 8 months and he is a mean little thing).

hope this helps you know what I have going on ... fustrated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohh sorry I forgot yes the sand bed from the main tank gets syphoned every 2 weeks and the one from the refug gets cleaned 1/3 at a time every other month. filter socks get changed as needed ( when the water flow is affected) about every week - 2 weeks.

I blow off the rocks every week and brush them every week and syphon them every 2-4 weeks as needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts