The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

We are moving in about one month and we will need to move our 45-gallon reef tank. The good news is, it's only a 15-minute drive away.

I think I have a plan, but I was hoping that I could get some feedback to let me know if I am forgetting something or is there is a better way:

Day before move
1. Buy LOTS of saltwater and transport to the new house (I can do this the day before).

2. Buy new sand (we are going to throw out the old sand as it's been in the tank for more than two years now). Do I need to rinse the sand or do anything special to it before adding it? Also, should I keep any of my old sand to "seed" the new sand? And sand recommendations? (I think I want the very fine, very white sand, sugar-size grains I think it is?

Day of move
3. Empty tank. Put live rock with no coral attached in one Rubbermaid container with lid. Cover with salt water.

4. Live rock with coral attached in another Rubbermaid container with lid. Do I need a heater or anything (for coral or fish)? It will be a warm day I am sure.

5. Loose coral and inverts in a small Rubbermaid container with lid.

6. Fish in a small Rubbermaid container with lid. (Can they all go together? I have a tomato clown, royal gramma, coral beauty, firefish and diamond goby).

7. Siphon out sand. Trash.

8. Disconnect all equipment. Clean.

9. Rinse the tank to get debris, scrap glass, etc.

10. Load everything up in the truck. Drive to new house.

11. Set up tank, equipment.

12. Add sand to tank. Fill halfway with water. Arrange rockwork.

13. Add rest of coral.

14. Add fish.

15. Sleep for 12 hours.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
How big is the tank?

Everything sounds pretty good. The one thing with the fish is that they're going to breathe down the O2 levels in a single bucket... so you may consider putting them in a larger bucket or rubbermaid to get a bit more buffer, or you may buy a small battery powered air pump. As long as your under a 4-5 hours, though, I probably wouldnt worry about those fish in ~5 gallons of water.

I'd also keep a small cup of sand from the old tank, but you won't need much. Make sure you rinse out the new sand, as it's going to be dusty. You can do this many days in advance if it eases the work load (which it probably would).

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
depending on the corals you may want to individually bag them and leave them in a cooler (no ice of course)

Some corals can get real nasty after being handled and could release tons of slime or even toxins that may harm other corals in the rubbermaid....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rinse the new sand really well. Does your tank have a lot of flow? I've never had the fine stuff, but I have seen people that do and the sand gets kicked around everywhere. Just a thought.
We don't have a ton of flow. No SPS, just softies and LPS. I was wondering which grain to get, though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
depending on the corals you may want to individually bag them and leave them in a cooler (no ice of course)

Some corals can get real nasty after being handled and could release tons of slime or even toxins that may harm other corals in the rubbermaid....
Good point! Thank you.

Should I get some bags from my LFS?

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
You mentioned buying salt water? Do you buy it from the LFS? Just curious... I've never thought about doing that before.....

You may want to try and keep some of you old water so you get the beneficial bacteria also

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I moved my tank I took 3/4 of the water and added it back to the tank after the move. A whole new tank of freshly made SW will be more caustic and the water properties will not be the same. Kudos for using new sand. As mentioned above take along a cup or two of the old sand to seed the new tank. Everything on your tank sounds pretty good esp. number 15. LOL

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Hello all!

We are moving in about one month and we will need to move our 45-gallon reef tank. The good news is, it's only a 15-minute drive away.

I think I have a plan, but I was hoping that I could get some feedback to let me know if I am forgetting something or is there is a better way:

Day before move
1. Buy LOTS of saltwater and transport to the new house (I can do this the day before).
Two days before move:
30G trashcan full of water with a powerhead in it and a heater. Heat it to match what is in your tank.
Day before move:
Test water parameters. pH, salinity, adjust to match your tank.

Day of move:

Siphon half the water into containers to save for the trip and setup.
Take the rocks with corals attached first, and blow them off with a powerhead, package for transport.
Remove LR with no corals into a container after blasting with a power head.
Catch and package fish for transport. Put a battery powered air pump in a bucket with them for aeration and water movement.
Break the system down.

When you get to the new house, use the water you brought with you to put in the tank first.
Put the sand in first. With the small grain size you want, it will cause less of a sandstorm. Just make sure to buffer the water flow into the tank.

Now would be a PERFECT time to install rock lifts to keep the rock off the sandbed.

Fill half full of water.
Install sandbed.
Stack rocks, fill with water and get the filtration running. Then add the coral rocks, then the fish.

Then sleep for 24 hours because every tank I have moved (mostly FW though) it has always taken me longer than I thought it would.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Just my 2 cents - but about the very very fine sand. I tried it in one of my tanks and really hate it. Can't wait to get it out of there. I don't have that much flow in there either and it's still a mess - it's constantly everywhere! Good luck with the move - you're thinking everything out well so that's good! :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just my 2 cents - but about the very very fine sand. I tried it in one of my tanks and really hate it. Can't wait to get it out of there. I don't have that much flow in there either and it's still a mess - it's constantly everywhere! Good luck with the move - you're thinking everything out well so that's good! :)
Can you recommend a size? I want somewhat fine, but I also don't want the problem you describe. I don't know much about sand!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Catch and package fish for transport. Put a battery powered air pump in a bucket with them for aeration and water movement.
If we use an air pump, is it okay to put the fish in a container with a lid? we have a jumper!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Can you recommend a size? I want somewhat fine, but I also don't want the problem you describe. I don't know much about sand!
You want grainsize to be about the size of sugar granules. Anything smaller tends to compact down too much and is very hard to get to settled down in the tank, it gets stirred up easy.

Explain to whoever you get the sand from (LFS) what you want and they can show you the different size grain sand they carry.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You mentioned buying salt water? Do you buy it from the LFS? Just curious... I've never thought about doing that before.....

You may want to try and keep some of you old water so you get the beneficial bacteria also
Oops, just realized I never answered your question. Yes, we buy our salt water premixed from our LFS. We are in an apartment right now and don't have a good way to mix up water ourselves. But in the new house, we're getting an RO/DI unit!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Oops, just realized I never answered your question. Yes, we buy our salt water premixed from our LFS. We are in an apartment right now and don't have a good way to mix up water ourselves. But in the new house, we're getting an RO/DI unit!
How many bathrooms, and how big is the kitchen? I took my RO/DI unit and mounted it on a piece of plywood. The fittings are set up to hook to my kitchen sink faucet. When I need water, I take it in the kitchen and set it up, let it produce what I need, then I store it away. It isn't the best plan but it was the best I could come up with for my situation.

If you have room in your bathroom, you can hook the RO/DI up to the commode water supply. Remove the riser tube from the shutoff, insert a T, put the commode back together, plumb your RO/DI into the T. That idea was given to me by Wiskey (who also lives in an apartment).

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
CaribSea Aragonite Sand 1.25-1.95mm.... just get the plain old sand, no need to buy the Live sand (waste of $$... the regular sand will be live soon enough)

Pretty cheap for a 40lb bag...
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ium_Supplies_Substrates_Dry_Sand~vendor~.html
Locally, it is hard for me to find dry sand. The cost difference, retail, between LS and DS is only a dollar or two (38 vs 42) so they don't stock the dry sand, only live sand :(

At 26.99 + 16 shipping, it is just as cheap for me to buy LS at the LFS as it is to order DS :(

·
Dazed & confused
328 Posts
Darn it, hit the button and lost my post lOL

When I did my most recent move with my 55 gallon, I did this.
1)filled a 20 gallon rubbermaid fish only trash can with half fresh and half siphoned from the tank water.
2) siphoned as much of the old water into 5 gallon pickle barrels
3) put live rock in the rubbermaid trash can
4) picked up a nifty about 5 gallon plastic container from walmart where the lid latches on. It's clearish plastic so I can see things.

I kept the old sand, now I wish I hadn't, but oh well LOl

When I got it here, the water was too cold, so I set the fishies up with an airpump and filled the tank and heated it up to the right temperature.

I didn't have any corals, but everything made it a ok.

Sidenote of the fish only garbage can. It also works wonders when you've got a PITA pseudochromis you want to get rid of and he keeps bolting into your rocks. I pulled the rocks out, put them in the garbage can with water and slowly started refilling the tank. The last rock had the little SOB in it, and when I saw him out, i ripped the rock out, and was able to catch him and take him back to the store :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts