The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here is my thread! hey all!!! i need advise and help and since i wasnt really getting it from anyone.. CAUSE YOU ALL left me.. :weep: ok, im done... Octoman was helping... but thats it! LOL...

ok... sooo.. here is the story of my 90 turned over almost threee times till it became an actual tank.. oceanic tech tank starphire front pane. (what i mean by tat, is i bought a used 90, got it all ready.. decided to get a new AGA 90, then got surprised by my husband, he got me an oceanic, so there is the third tank since i decided to go bigger) i have a 30 gallon refugium that i built out of an AGA 30g tank. the tank started on 4-2-08 with the delivery of it, the addition of water and my rocks that i had been curing since January here is a pic of it right after i got that all done

the sand was then added about a week later here is the pic of that

after that i let it sit for almost 2 months. the cycle went completley through, i tested every other day and when there were no further traces of ammonia or nitrites i added my clean up crew. 5 mex. turbo snails, 10 astria snails and a tiger tail cucumber. here are a couple pic

these were added to obviously clean up the diatom bloom...

the first inhabitants not added till 5-25-08(the leather...) so it was alomst 2 months before i added any livestock to my tank(corals n such).here are a few more pictures of my corals that are in there as of now..

green leather

Birdsnest

trumpets

xenia

blue ricordia

a healing pink ricordia

i will list my equipment in the lower threads... but as of now i am fighting a winning battle with dinoflagellates. i caught it in the early stages, so thats what the next few posts are about.. a recap on the past week with my tank. thanks for checking it out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
on 6-20-08 The day i caught what is now know in my tank as the BS algae i got from the BS store i went to and i will never go there again.. nuff said.. LOL

Dinoflagellates

ok, so because i got lazy... and went to a different LFS that is closer to me.. instead of the one i always go to for my freshwater...(ro still not hooked up ) i got fresh from this other place... and after using up 1, 5 gallon bucket... i notice this algae with bubbles on it growing on my rocks some on the corals on the sand... wtf... i remembered triggerjays dino problem and went to that thread.. looked up dinos on the web.. and im pretty sure i have dinos... pretty early stage.. but is this something i can nip in the bud without it getting too bad? im not using the top off water now, because i tested the phosphats in it and the phosphates measured at .25-.5

that is literally the only change i have made in my system....and of course the trumpets i got were from this LFS too.... the last coral i put in there....figures... ok... so RO unit is getting hooked up TOMORROW!! is there something i should do now? like water change?... can i suction this stuff off? what do i need to do... here are some pics of it... i believe i need to decrease the phot period.... i am going to order my phosban reactor tomrrow as well when i get that should i run it on the tank right away? will that help? thanks for any help you can offer up...

now these are just some picks of this on the rocks.. as the photoperiod went on, so did the growth..... all over the sand and walls and locline and overflow...it never got to a snotty mess... cause i caufght it this early...simply a stringy algea with bubbles picking it up like an air balloon! :p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on 6-22-08

ok, well, here is my progress so far... i kept the photoperiod down.. actualy only T-5's today no MH...i ordered my TDS meter, my phosban reactor and stuff for that.. i will be getting cheato here next week... i have the Ro/Di filter up and running and i got the first of the new clean water in the tank...didnt even finish using the other stuff when i saw the algae growing i the tank. so now i have good water right at hand.... i will do a water change tomorrow(anyone think it should be a big one?) like maybe 20% ok, thats not BIG technically, but bigger than my normal water change...? i am trying to nip this in the bud before it gets bad...i blew all the rocks off with a turkey baster so im running the skimmer a little more wet than normal hoping it will grab that crap out of the water... ok.. if you think there is something i am missing, something i should be doing.. please.. feel free to give me any information...

this morning... the rocks look better and the sand looks better, but i also dont have the lights on yet.. i did have the light on the fuge on all night...wanted to dsee if that hd any effect, it did not.. BUT because i didnt use the halides yesterday the tank was pretty dark all day and night, and my grean leather is lookin rough and ticked... like he has a hangover.. so i will do the t-5's then put the halides on for a few hours, then return to t-5... blah blah blah.. i realize this is boring... but im just documenting it for myself... ttyl

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on 6-23-08

ok, so yesterday i had the t-5s and the halides on, but for a shortened period oif time....while the halides were on went about blowing it all off the ricks, my skimmer was going crazy. i have been using my ro/di water, i have not fed the tank anything since i saw this algae showits face in my tank... lol... i have the phosban reactor on its way.. my new lights(one halide for the nano, and the new one for the 90 along with its ballast. now since im trying to beat this algea.. should i put that new light in? wont that give it some fuel so to speak... i will probably get it around the same time... ....ok.. well i guess not, i just checked on the tracking and it says it hasnt even been shipped yet... wth? well.. wrong tracking numbers anyways... o well... ok, thats it for my update.... take care everyone... oh and here was a little bit from that day too..

a reply to someones comment...

i actually just read about this story from someone who had dinos... and they said dont introduse and new salt or trace element to the tank....so i took that as dont do a water change right away... because even if i tested for phosphates right now... it would probably read 0 because the dino's use em up.... so im trying to starve it out... so that why i havt done the water change yet... what do you think? i can do it... i judt dont want to feed them.. and i did do a longer photoperiod and the sand was cover by the stringy mess and there were more strand floating straight up with bubbles, more on my rocks, up by the overfow and on my loc lines... LOL.. it wasnt a big nasty boogery pile.. but i think if i dont act, it will get that way very quickly...lol.. so i am trying to nip it in the bud and not let it get to that point....

another reply to a comment:

thanks Greg, yeah the only reason i thought twice about this algae was because of that thread, i have already posted over there... and i willl try the siphoning too.. thanks... i figure if i get it off the rock, then maybe my skimmer will catch most of it... seems to be a fast spreader, but i seem to be keeping it in check. tomorrow i am going to try no photoperiod.. with blinds draw and a blanket over the blinds... cause there is a LOT of daylight that comes in through them... see what that does.... stay tuned! LOL.. i will be documenting everything i do with it... hoping that it will help others.. there really isnt a whole lot of documentation on this algae

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on 6-24-08

ok, so far today i have done NO photoperiod what so ever... blinds shut all lights off.... i received my phosban reactor today so i just put that on....i see 0 dinos on the sand nothing really on the rocks.. at least nothing with bubbles n stuff. soooo my question... should i leave the lights off for a couple days??? or should i turn them on for a shortened time tomorrow? then maybe off again the next day? and how long should i run the reactor? a week? 5 days? longer? will i have to replace the media at all in that time? i know, a lot od questions... but i have never seen one of these used... ok.. tia.. i would really appreciate any help!

oh, 1 more thing... my xenia is very unhappy.. it just gets TOO much flow no matter where i put it! UGH.. there is a strong flow throught my whole tank.. wippin through the rocks and all.. will this kill the xenia.. cause it is very reserved at the moment

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on 6-25-08

ok, second day of no photoperiod....there was no growth over night. everywhere that there was this algae, now there is not.. it has not regrown...i wonder if one more full day will be enough.... as for the phosban reactor.. it seems like the pump is too weak. i was told to get the mini jet 404.... i have it at full power and the phosban's valve wide open and the tubing as short as it can go...(hd to keep cutting it) and the phosban is barely tumbling.. its tumbling, but not like i thought it would.... i read it would bring the granules up into the water cloumn and the valve should be nothched down so that there is a clear part under the particles near the top?.... mine are NO where near the top.they just ruffle around at the bottom. am i still getting full benefits from the reactor?

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
I wouldn't put anything intill it cycled.You have Xenia and your using phoshate removing product.The tank needs to cycle all on it's own before adding anything.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't put anything intill it cycled.You have Xenia and your using phoshate removing product.The tank needs to cycle all on it's own before adding anything.

it is cycled... im getting to the actual explanation of my tank... this tank started on 4-2-08 see.. i came over to this site with some people, so they know the background.. and thats why i put this info first....

and as it figures.. i just typed out a huge long responce with pictures all about the tank and all i have as far as equiptment and such.. and now its gone! i am done for today, maybe another day i will type it all out again... ugh... that stinks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are some sweet dino pics, though.

LOL....yeah... theres gotta be a silver lining there somewhere right?! HAHAA!!! sweet pics of your nasty hard to get rid of algae! ;) :bawling:

LOL thanks! the bubbles look pretty sweet though dont they!?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so here is a pic of my tank as it is today.. well not today cause i am on a no photoperiod through today.. then a shortened time tomorrow. and then i will progressivley get back up to the full photoperiod.. fingers crossed that the dinos will be gone shortley.

oh and i forgot, i have green palys...

i have an Octopus 110,an ACjr, lighting is an Outer Orbit, 4x54w T-5;s 2x250w 10K MH 18 LED's 9 white 9 blue moonlights fixture, an aqua-somthing heater, a quiet one HH 5000 series return pump, 2 Koralia 4's, a phosban reactor at the moment, an APC back up battery unit, a WaterGeneral mfg. Co. Ro/Di unit(6 stage 100gpd unit). thats my equipment so far! soon to be had is a quarentine tank, and a tank for the fresh water with an ATO unit. stay tuned! :D

1 - 20 of 186 Posts