The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
boy if this ain't off topic,,,but here goes,,,(you folks bee smart peoples!)

anyone know what to use to clean a coffee maker ,more like the coffee "basket"?
got a Bunn "home model",plastic basket for the coffee to go in,,
want to clean the coffee stains etc. that stay on/in it,,,
bleach sorta works,,the over the counter coffee cleaner products don't "cut" it. think that stuff is for mineral build up etc.
just want to remove the smell/oil of the coffee from it.
seem to recall reading a "happy homemaker" type column once , but now can't recall what to use. the ridges in the basket restrict any major scrubbing/rubbing in the ridge recesses.
the ol faithful machine 's been around since 1984,
:eek:
no problems ever,,been making at least a pot a day since,,,,
if it ain't broke,,,,
i know, "hey tightpockets, buy a new one!"

one or more of you resourceful reefers oughta have a answer for me:confused:
Thanks!

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Vinegar? That's the typical "happy homemaker column" answer...

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Vinegar and water run through the machine followed by clear water will clean out the pipes of mineral buildup.

Try getting some powdered dish machine detergent, cascade etc, and place the basket in a container of hot water with about 3T of the dish detergent. Let soak for 15-30 minutes then wash really well with regular dish soap and water or run it through the dish machine. If you use a white container for the soaking vessel you'll know if it's working... :) trust me... ]>:} This also works really well for cleaning out the coffee stains from the inside of thermos containers.

To clean out coffee stains from the inside of the glass carafe use salt and ice, swirl it around and rinse.

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mrs Smith said:
Vinegar? That's the typical "happy homemaker column" answer...
nah Danielle, tried that many times b4,,,i could probably write for the MR.homemaker column ;) :D
vinegar only makes it smell like i'm ready to dig easter eggs in my cup of coffee,,not a good combo smell, plus , it does not remove the staining/coffee odor,,:(

·
Super Moderator
22,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CC, THAT i will try, sounds like it might work,,i'll try anything new once!;)
on the stuff to run thru the maker, remember, it's a "Bunn" with the hot water above at the ready,,,i did try stuff made for reg .makers to see if it would help, no dice,
Bunn tells you that NOT to use the stuff for the "other" types of makers, due to fact of the hot water above at the ready thing, and only to use the spring coil thingie to rod the lines out.
i did run a cleaner thru it, and ran about 5-6 cycles of clean water to rinse it out.
Thanks, will try your suggestion!:)

·
Administrator
47,686 Posts
Jeff you will ruin the taste if you persisit in this futile endevour

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Doug1 said:
Jeff you will ruin the taste if you persisit in this futile endevour
Doug I have to disagre with you on that. One of the things that can really ruin a good cup of coffee or a good bean grind is a old stained carafe or a really dirty/stained filter holder. Both will/can give fresh brewed coffee a strong burnt taste.

·
Administrator
47,686 Posts
YA mean its not sposed to taste that way;)
Is it possible to get a new basket assembly if the rest works fine?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
As far as I know most companies sell new baskets for thier makers, at least the kind that are removable. Otherwise if you contact the manufacturer/maker directly, they usually have "parts available for "repairing" broken machines. Although in some cases it might actually be cheaper to buy a new coffee maker on sale than it would be to buy a part to fix and old one... :)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
How can you ruin coffee it already taste like cr**:D :funny:

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Try these steps Jeff,

1. Reach into pocket.
2. Pull out wallet
3. open aforementioned wallet
4. Swat away moths as they fly out.
5. Remove 20.00
6. BUY A NEW COFFEMAKER! 1984??!!!! YIKES My Vacuum (cath) and microwave are not even that old! :funny:

·
Super Moderator
27,709 Posts
Ackk, Jimmer! Ya mean I'm supposed to buy a new coffee maker too? Mine's just 15 years old, and I clean it with white vinegar ....and then, Jeff, I rinse like..umm.. all get out. rinse and then rinse again. Any reefer should have that plan down pat.

Course, I could get a new coffee maker from Gevalia....Hmm...do you think I should buy a new coffee bean grinder, Jimmer? It's not quite 5 years old. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Casey said:
How can you ruin coffee it already taste like cr**:D :funny:
Hey Casey, I'll have to take your word for that. I've never personally eaten or tasted Cr*p so with your personal experiences and knowledge I'll trust you... :) While I really enjoy good coffee, I'm still not about to taste test the other to find out... :idea: :funny: :funny:

hehehe, J/K

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Good one Cyberchef! Well casey what does that other stuff taste like! I would love to be there in person when you demostrate the taste method!!:eek:

I love my coffee hot and black with none of that other junk to spoil it! I loved black coffee from day one and you either have a taste for it or you don't!

Tip: People who say to drink coffee to sober up well they are wrong! All you get is a wide awake drunk!!:beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts