The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My concern is flooding my house, I am close to turning on the pump and trying out the durso overflow and was wondering if with a durso, is there a chance of flooding in case of a power outage? do I just need enough extra room in the sump to hold whats in the drain lines and overflow? I hope I make sense:confused:

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Yup, basically you want to have enough extra room in the sump so that when the power turns off it will be able to hold it all. there is a calculator on reefcentral that can give u an estimate on how much water you have to account for.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Sometimes its the little things...have someone watch the sump while someone stays by the plug! If it starts to get too high in the sump just plug the pump back in - then play with the water levels....don't ask how I know this,lol, !!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Wiskey said:
Don't submerge your return line, this prevents a back syphon from your input side.

Whiskey
Also another trick is to drill a small hole in the return lines just above or below the water level. That way if power goes out, they will only drain so far because the hole will draw in air and that will break the syphon.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
BGJ223 said:
Also another trick is to drill a small hole in the return lines just above or below the water level. That way if power goes out, they will only drain so far because the hole will draw in air and that will break the syphon.
not too small of a hole, sometimes they get clogged, i like to fork my return and have one blowing just across the top of the water, for air exchange, then direct the other where ever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will definately drill then! thanks everyone ( I am having a drink to prepare ), get nervous messing with things like this lol! and wait til my hubby gets home to help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts