The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy that is drilling my tank is taking a little longer than expected and i already have my tank drained all my rocks are in bins and corals in a 5 gallon bucket and all fish/cuc in another 5 gallon bucket how long can they be in the bucket for??? its 11am now he said he cant drill it till like 2pm i have a air pump with 2 outlets and i have 1 hose in each bucket is this ok???

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
not trying to rush but i really have no clue because i have never done this before???? any advice please would greatly help

·
Registered
584 Posts
I speak with no authority, but I would imagine it's not going to be detrimental in the least, as livestock is shipped from locations far away every day, and even the quickest shipping is going to be 24 hours.

As far as corals are concerned, I really don't know. One important detail you forgot to mention is when you placed them in the buckets.

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
i would put a power head and heater in them to help stableise the water to what it was like in the tank, other than that they should be fine,
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
i would put a power head and heater in them to help stableise the water to what it was like in the tank, other than that they should be fine,
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
i would put them in a rubber made garbage can. there like 10$ and put a power head in there and a heater, for some reason a 5 gallon bucket cools fast, and faster with a power head in there.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
your in Florida no need for a heater, as long as there is air going in to the water you should be ok for 6-8 hours plus

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
maybe u should be starting a new thread...... "how to drill a fish tank?"

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe u should be starting a new thread...... "how to drill a fish tank?"
Been there done that.. ya i was told by LFS that he could do it at 11 am so i took it all out at 9:30 am and i called him at 10 and he said he wont be back in town till like 2ish so its like 6ish hours going to be in the bucket... i have 1 spare powerhead that wont kill everything in a 5 g bucket but its in the Tote that all my liverocks are in only other pump i have is 750gph lol talk about undertow hahaha itd kill everything i just have an air pump w/ wooden air stone making bubbles in the fish bucket and just a air hose weighted down in the coral bucket it should work... gotta love depending on LFS :arg::arg::arg:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I see. You might should have confirmed the time before getting everything out if the LFS guy was going to be out of town. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

I'd reckon you'll be fine. I would recommend ensuring the most comfortable transition as possible. Keep the temps right, keep some flow in the water etc. In the event things get worse, you may want to start calling some friends up and see if they would be willing take if he doesn't make it by 2. The way you talk, sounds like he's still on the road.

·
Registered
584 Posts
your in Florida no need for a heater, as long as there is air going in to the water you should be ok for 6-8 hours plus
I'm in FL too, but it's about 72 degrees year round where my aquarium is at :p haha

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya i did confirm the time... 2 days ago then he hit me with that lol... what can you do so now that i got everything out of my tank... im thinking about going bare bottom... good idea? and i just got my mp10 yesterday ^^ love that thing

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
my dad lives in windamear fl and his house is about 65 all year round. just saying if you live in hot places you house is generality cooler. inless you like your house 90

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whew finally done.. got the hole drilled Phosphate Reactor , Protein Skimmer, All pumps working (with no microbubbles!!!) got the sump working but its making a loud gurgling sound but i really do not care atm got rid of the sand bed now i am BareBottom wohoooooo:beer: got rocks re arranged corals placement done and finally got the MP10 making a wave lol love that thing... finally it was an all day project

my Randall Shrimp goby is sitting in one corner of the tank and not moving but his mouth/gills are hopefully hes stressed out and will come out of it

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya it was the same tank i was trying to do that siphon thing with lol i gave up and got it drilled ya my girl will be upset as that is her favorite fish he might make it we will see in the morning ^^ im going to post before and after pics of my aquascape and the new Ushio 20k bulb i put in the other day tomorrow hopefully

im thinking of adding another fish because the tank doesnt have very much life besides one clownfish and a cleaner shrimp i just really dont know what to add...especially if the goby doesnt make it i gotta get a new fish im open to ideas i dont want anything real aggressive

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
is money an issue. if u got like 400 get some platinum clowns. if money is an issue get a power blue tang, and if your really short on money a yellow or sail fin tang would give a lot of life to the tank.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its a 28 gallon jbj nano btw ^^ ya thats like 150$ shy of my rent for that fish they are beautiful though but i just dont make enough money at the moment lol hopefully i get this selector position where i can make up to 30$ an hour then i will get that fish but for now whats a fish for under lets say... 75$ lol thats reef safe and gets along with Golden Striped Maroon Clown a cleaner shrimp and possibly a randall shrimp goby

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
its a 28 gallon jbj nano btw ^^ ya thats like 150$ shy of my rent for that fish they are beautiful though but i just dont make enough money at the moment lol hopefully i get this selector position where i can make up to 30$ an hour then i will get that fish but for now whats a fish for under lets say... 75$ lol thats reef safe and gets along with Golden Striped Maroon Clown a cleaner shrimp and possibly a randall shrimp goby

it is in every ones dreams. if its a 28g dont do tangs. maybe a 6 line warse or a small box fish or file fish.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya i know not to get a tang thats why i said tank size lol.. i was thinking about getting a Purple Firefish... but it says it doesnt like the same species they are both gobys does that mean my randall goby ? or just another firefish? any suggestions on them would be helpfull

1 - 20 of 25 Posts