The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since, I'm a newb, and just started really paying attention to the Alk in my tank, I've been adjusting my Calc reactor to try and achieve the correct Alk in the tank. Originally it was low at about 7Dkh when I first started paying attention to it. I've increased my CO2 bubble count on the reactor which quickly raised the Alk in the tank to around 12DkH. So then I reduced the CO2 and the Alk dropped to about 9 in just a day or so in the tank. Should the Alk fluctuate that quickly in the tank? What causes the Alk to drop? I believe the target Alk is 8-10DkH? Thanks for any input.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Alk swings are not good for the tank, or the critters that call it home. That sure is quite a downward swing in one day though. What are you using to test alk, where are you pulling the water from? What kind of tank? What kind of coral?

I suspect a testing problem more than an alk swing problem right now.

Whiskey

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a mixed batch of test kits. My Alk test is a FastTest kit, my CA & PH is RedSea, and my MG is Salifert. I know the RedSeas are supposedly crap but haven't had a chance to replace them yet. I'm still ticked at my LFS for telling me they would work fine. What a waste of $50. Params are:

MG ~1300
CA ~500
Alk, yesterday ~10
PH 8.4

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Imo both the CA and ALK are a bit high, but nothing too serious. There are some good threads around here on tuning CA reactors, one in the think tank near the top, you might want to check them out.

Frankly I would buy Salifert kits for both your CA and ALK before I did anything, I tried other kits and the readings are not always to be trusted.

Whiskey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts