The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does it mean if you have high Alkalinity rates as test results???... i would tell you what the actual rate or number is, but my RedSea test kit is rather ghetto and it only has Low/Normal/High. For the last few weeks since i performed a 50% water change from killing flatworms in my tank i have been getting this in my tests. i am still continually doing a 1 gallon water change weekly. current tank: 12g NC, my signiture tells whats in it... water parameters are as follows:
Nitrite: .05, ALK: "high", PH: 8.2, Nitrate: 1.5, Ammonia: 0, Calcium: 395
current water temp: 83

ive never had a problem w/ ALK untill just after my dosing of flatworm exit, i did as the dirrections said and i used carbon for about 6 hrs to make sure any poisons were extinguished.

i have noticed the spike in nitrate and nitrite after the flatworm problem but those numbers are going down now... so this was a rather large cycle post flatworms.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
skilter said:
what does it mean if you have high Alkalinity rates as test results???\

It simply means that you need a better test kit.

Seriously, you want the alk to be high. I am sure that the range for high alk with the kit you are using is actually within the range that we want our tanks to be, and most likely means that your alkalinity is normal, not high.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i know i need a new one, i was waiting till this one ran out...

thats why i said it was ghetto. but thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Order Salifert or Seachem. I used Red Sea and my ALK was low even when it read high. Their other test are not any better I sorry to say :( . My ph test Read 8.4. The New Digital Tester Read 7.9
:doh:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
yes, disregard the results for now, those are of little use when the description is so vague ("LOW-MED-HI" and questionble reliabiity of the kit). Good choice with Salifert, don't forget to get the calcium and Mg test kits as well, as the results of alk alone will not have much value without these other two as reference for your hermatypic building blocks.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Skilter, where are we on this now???

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, thx for thinking about me... everything is going well now, nice and ballanced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts