The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been using kalk for about a month now... my coraline is exploding!
I have gotten where calcium stays exactly the same. (Fully saturated solution)
425ppm on Sunday... 425ppm on the next sunday...
The only problem is my alk drops way faster! I thought they drop together???
My alk on Sunday is 9.6dkh and on the next Sunday it will be 8dkh..... but the calcium stays the same!

What could be the problem?

I use a skimmer, fuge (24/7 light)...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
systemic consumption of buffer to maintain pH, either due to high household pCO2 in the system or the production of excessive amounts of organic acids in the system.

What types of fitrations does your system employ? How often do you blast the system for detritus? Waer changes? siphoning the rock? Do you have covers on the tank?

Just curious... :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a aquaC remore skimmer.

I don't ever blast for detritus? Or clean the rocks...
Thats what my snails and crabs are for :)

No cover on tank. And weekly 2 gallon water changes (20G tank).

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
silicon_dt said:
I have a aquaC remore skimmer.

I don't ever blast for detritus? Or clean the rocks...
Thats what my snails and crabs are for :)

No cover on tank. And weekly 2 gallon water changes (20G tank).
Your alkalinity is being consumed to neutralize the excess organic and carbonic acids produced as your detrital materials decompose in the system. This will both ultimately consume all your alkalinity if left unattended, and also increase your systemic levels of nitrates and phosphates, setting the stage for a potentially large and difficult-to-resolve algae bloom...

Use siphoning to remove/export these substances before they become problemtic, it is a part of both good water change schedules and maintaining good husbandry habits for your system, as well as enhancing the system's overall health through improving O2 saturation (O2 is consumed by bacteria as they decomose the organics in detritus, and release CO2, resulting in an even better environment for algal growth).

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts