The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that this product hasn't been discussed in this forum and I'm kind of interested in seeing what everyone thinks about this product. I know that any product used to lover levels does not solve the problem it just hides it haha. I seem to be stuck with a higher than desired. I am in the process of tracking down the issue, but in the mean time would this product be something to consider??

Just curious about your input
Thanks

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I see that this product hasn't been discussed in this forum and I'm kind of interested in seeing what everyone thinks about this product. I know that any product used to lover levels does not solve the problem it just hides it haha. I seem to be stuck with a higher than desired. I am in the process of tracking down the issue, but in the mean time would this product be something to consider??

Just curious about your input
Thanks
No. Don't even consider it. Even if it semi-works. Reason? It will mask the problem you are trying to find. If it masks the problem, how will you find the actual cause of the problem?

Find the cause and solve it, which you will have to do anyway.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you and I'm not going to try the algone. I'm going to start trying to figure out what is causing my problem. I keep testing it with the test strip which i know are not accurate, but i kept getting the same result which appears to be between 20 and 40 ppm. I'm not really sure where to start though haha. I don't want to touch the bio balls, i clean and or change the filter pad like every day, I added a protein skimmer and I'm still a little puzzled. I'm going to add more rock that are not alive but I'm hoping that they will eventually help filter my water. We'll see Any suggestions on things to consider while tracking down this issue??
Thanks

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also since I'm on the subject haha I have a lot of chaeto macro algae growing in my tank not my sump my tank. Its the grape looking one. i know that should help, but I'm concerned with the die off of it occasionally. Could that be causing my issue? Should i be trimming it often?
Just a thought

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you are fish only, then 20-40 on nitrates will not bother the fish. Your problem is most likely due to the bioballs. They are nice little nitrate factories. My nitrates in my FOWLR stayed around 20 until I removed all of the bioballs (slowly over a month), now they stay between 0 and 10. They are not needed if you have live rock.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What if some of my rock is live and some is not live just rock?? I have like 70 pounds all together 15 being actually live. Can i remove my bio balls very slowly????

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes. The not live rock will become live, and may already be live. As you remove (slowly) the bioballs, I did mine 1/4 each week, the nitrifying bacteria that you remove will have to be replaced. It will grow on the rocks and substrate in your tank.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
What if some of my rock is live and some is not live just rock?? I have like 70 pounds all together 15 being actually live. Can i remove my bio balls very slowly????
Yes, and removing the bio balls will help the "dead" base rock become live rock as it won't be competing with the bio-balls for a place to live and nutrients. If you seed 55 pounds of base rock with 15 pounds of live rock, within 6 months to a year it will all be live rock.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you ever made the conversion before? Is there anything i should be concerned with. Or should i just take is really really slow and it should work out. Also what do i do with the old wet dry just leave it as a empty shell and just keep the filter pads?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine is just an empty shell. I am in the planning process of switching it around a bit so I can accomodate a larger skimmer. Removing my bioballs allowed me to have much more room for equipment.
Remove the balls slowly, and test your water. Ammonia and Nitirites should be 0 a week after, if not, wait to remove more balls until they are 0. My switch was successful with 20lb live rock, 20lb dead rock in a 125g FO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Matt, sounds like you got some good advise. I did the switch from bio-balls to live rock it was a good move for my tank. I hope to get those frags to ya this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts