The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering is it bad to have algea to be like a mucus around the like rock, its red algea, but its like mucus all over the rocks, should i like break it up? im not able to keep fish, and maybe that could be a reason? im gonna re arange my rocks tomarrow, but i dont know what to do.

Thanks

Brandon

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Sounds like Cyano to me....

You need more circulation in the tank and need to reduce organics in the water...

What pumps/powerheads are you running?
What size tank?
What skimmer, if any?
What fish and corals are in the tank?
What are your feeding habits like?

The answers to these questions will help us help you better...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a 75 gallon tank, with a Rio 1700 power head and a protien skimmer, no fish nor corals, but is this algea bad for the tank? i mean is it not helping the filtration? what is the specific reason why i have this problem? am i not comprehending it or am i just missing the point. From the link, i do have the same thing so thanks Geoff.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
Cyano generally means excess nutrients in the tank. You'll almost always get it when cycling a new tank, or major changes to an existing tank (Iput a refugium on my main and got an outbreak fro a while.) It isn't bad, per se, but it makes life miserable for corals, and you could lose some, if you had any. Remove the excess nutrients and it'll go away. There are chemical means to remove it, but it doesn't solve the problem. There are biological means (certain cleanup crew members) also and while they are removing the cyano, they are also binding up the excess nutrients

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
for now, siphon the biomass out, as it will remove many of the offending substances that are in excess anywawy (do this at the end of the photoperiod). More info will help evaluate what the causal issues are and their resolution (as posted above :D )

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts