The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have had my 30 gallon long reef tank set up for about 6-8 months. I have had a green algea problem since i have had the tank set up. It went away after i started using distilled water from walmart. but after adding 2 39 watt t5s to my current 2 65 watt 50/50pc it has seem to come back. All my parameters have been stable. And for some reason my refugium looks nicer then my display tank!. with no algea!. Also all my caraline is bleaching and seemed to stop growing. Before it stopped it covered my whole back and side walls of my tank in under 1 month! I have little to no phosphates or silicates,nitrates or nitrites. in fact it shows i have none of the above at all! i cant figure out how it is alive, yet I lost 20 of my 40 hermits blue and red, but my snails are fine, cerith and naserus. I am using a 6 gallon eclipse for a refugium with sum chaeto in it dumping into an aqua clear 300 with more chaeto in it. My display has i think way to much water flow not sure. 2 propeller type 800gph power heads. 180 gph skimmer and 180 gph fluval 204. Sorry if this is a long post i just cannot figure this out idk what is causing it. And i also stille use the filter in the eclipse for extra filtration. I only have a 1.5 inch sandbed with about 50 pounds of live rock. If any one can throw me sum tips on my setup that could possible get rid of my problems i would apreciate it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If you have nuisance algae problem, then you have a phosphate problem. Test will show false readings if the phosphate is being bound by the algae. Light spectrum plays a big role in algae growth. A 6700K bulb will promote more film algae than a 1200K bulb. Older lights will start to become warmer in spectrum as they age. Coralline will bleach if the light configuration changes or the water chemistry changes. What is your ALK and Ca levels? How old are all your bulbs? There could be a whole bunch of different reasons your hermits died. Lets focus on the algae issue first.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Well, I think one of your big problems is your Fluval.......canisters are nitrate factories, Your readings are coming up zero because your algae is eating the trates trites and phosphates. Ditch the fluval, do a nice 15 gallon water change, monitor your feedings, and that should help some. If not, ditch the refugium in the aquaclear.....and run GFO in there. (GFO=Granular Ferric Oxide) The GFO will eat up those free phosphates and will help you get your system cleaned up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You

Thanks for the advise! when i first set up the fluval i did relize the nitrate facter but i do clean it about 1 every week or two. Also i use the fluval to suck out of my display tank to my eclipse 6 refugium whick the drains gravity fed to the aqua clear and so on. is this a bad set up? the t5 lights are brand new but my 50/50 pcs are about 6 months old and the actinics look purple and dim. the lights were cheap ebay ones could that be why? also i feed like once a week and water evaporates so fast im changing a couple gallons a week. may dkh is around 11 or so and ca at 500-550 kind HIGH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts