The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Algae for Horge

Here are a few pics of the algae that was posted in the "remote DSB" thread.

Horge says: This is Caulerpa verticillata, as you can see the rhizomatous (runner-like) structures under all that frippery. Thanks Don.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
next one

Horge says: I'm thinking this is Halymenia, but it depends how firm it is to the touch. A full broadside pic of one of the blades might alow a guess down to what species of Halymenia it might be. Good photo otherwise!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another one

Horge says: I think this is another Halymenia, H. dilatata to be explicit. I don't have a view of the whole structure, and especially of the holdfast (the anchorage point). Gorgeous specimen in any case.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is another red algae that just recently showed up... Looks like very thin sticks.

Horge says: Hmmm. :)
Looks like Jania, but don't quote me on that. The picture is a bit grainy, or I might be surer of my guess even to the point of imaging a species rather than just a genus.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is a golden colored algae that Jerel ID for me a while back, I just can't remember the name now... :funny:

Horge says: :D
Well, Jerel? What did you guess this was?
Heheheh.....

Spanky said:
If I had to guess, I'd say Dictyota divaricata. :)

Jerel

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is another algae that grows in mymain tank. I really don't know what the actual color of it is since it is covered by coraline as quickly as it grows.

Horge says: :) This IS a coralline alga, coating itself as it grows.
Amphiroa fragilissima from the looks of it: the branching angles look about right. Can be hard to keep in aquaria, actually ---you have some pretty good water chemistry management going there.

Attachments

·
Administrator
48,763 Posts
well you got them tho, and that makes you the winner :D
Very nice photography. Thanks for contributing to Horges project, this will benefit everyone in the long run, and thats what we are all about :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks Don!
I've tried to identify the algae pictured, and have edited your posts to include the ID's.

I'll do the species writeups for the ID'd pics, and plug them into the database over the weekend.
Thanks again.

-***** warky horgy porgy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.