The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
I'd steer clear of any quick fix algae treatments. I'm a big fan of large frequent water changes. You've got some phospates loading up somewhere. Try water changes and cutting your lighting a few hous a day and see if that helps. Also is your tank in dirrect sunlight because that can cause some issues as well? This is also assuming your using RO/DI for top-offs.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Agreed. The only true cure for algae issues is to solve the source, which is phosphates. There are several ways to cure the phosphate issue... waterchanges being the predominate one (as long as the source water is RODI or Distilled and not Tap)...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have addressed all those issues and I never can measure any detectable phosphate level, I'd just like to see about getting it killed and then starting "fresh". I wonder if these products that say they are reef safe are actually reef safe.

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Most home aquarium phosphate tests are useless they dont test for the right kind of phosphates. I'd say if thats what you wanna do go for it. There are alot of products out there that claim to be reef safe that arn't. The golden rule is you dont put anything in your tank you cant test for. If your rock is totally infested I'd cook it and start over.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Dont do it.. Ive used before on my 8 gallon and it did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! lol... i brought my water to get a complete screening and it was fine but i still had the algae, used algaefix; no change

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,045 Posts
I have to agree with everyone, the best thing to do is to find the cause and try to correct it. I don't believe you can fix it out of a bottle.

I wish I could find the cure all in a bottle and market and sell it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
phosphates are the food for algae...
remove the food (phosphates) and you are heading in the right direction.
1. frequent water changes w/rodi until the algae is gone
2. high quality frozen food rinsed well in order to remove --- Phosphates ;)
3. good skimmer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts