The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the thread about algae on glass by dermp and realized that I have similar problems.

I have a 125 w/ about 150lbs of live rock, maybe a dozen or so SPS's and 5 fish (2 Chromis, 1 Clown, 1 Blenny, 1 Gramma)

Tank was set up 7 months ago, running 4x96w PC for lighting 10 hours a day.

Feeding once per day usually meaty food but occationally flakes.

Water changes are done with water from Spripps Aquarium, however top off water is from the tap. (I know, I cringe when I write it)

My biggest problem is green/brown algae on the glass. I am scrapping almost every other day.

What would help the tank prosper?

More or less lighting? RODI for top off? Different feeding regimen? Different or addition specimens?

AS always, all help is greatly appreciated?

Bob

·
Administrator
47,686 Posts
Hey Bob RO/DI for sure, less flake food, a large assortment of snails. Do you have bristleworms, mini stars or other scavegers living in the tank? If not you might try to hook up with others with established tanks that can help ya seed the sandbed.
And I suspect that the SPS will do better under MH lights

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug,

I have seen a few brittleworms and even a few brittle stars. Started with 20 turbo snails, seem like a lot more than that now. A few scarlet crabs and a few emerald crabs plus two cleaner shrimp.

I would love to add MH lights, just not in the budget for a while.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While were at this, do you have a recommendation on RODI.

I have been leaning toward AquaFX.

Seems to be the best for the price. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
133 Posts
newcomer said:
AS always, all help is greatly appreciated?

Isn't that the truth :funny: :funny: :funny:

Actually, getting a RO/DI unit is probably your best bet. And I would recommend Aquatic Reef Systems' Oceanus 4:

http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/

I don't know if they are a TRT sponsor or not, but the unit is awesome and their service is great.

Couple of other thoughts:

1. Check the phosphate level in your tank. It's probably higher than it should be. Phosphate is the leading cause of algae in tanks (if all other parameters are under control). If phosphate is between 0 and 1 ppm then use some PhosZorb (available at LFS) in your sump for a couple of days (in a mesh bag) and that might help. If the phosphate level is above 1 ppm then you have to do a bunch of small water changes to get the phosphate level down.

2. Macroalgae will "fight" the bad algae for the same nutrients so if you can create a refugium with some macroalgae in it (stay away from Caulpera - if you do a TRT search you'll see they tend to break up and re-release the bad stuff into your system) then that'll also help.

HTH.

K.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts