The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I woke up the other day and noticed a massive algae bloom. I tried to identify it online but I don't think it looks quite like any of them. It is literally almost all just on my glass. My tank is about 2 weeks old. I currently have 2 Trochus snails and 2 Astrea snails and 1 Cerith snail working on the algae but they can't seem to keep up with it. (The Cerith seems more interested in burying himself in the sand). Could you guys help me with identifying it and perhaps the best critter at eradicating this nuisance.

Water Parameters:
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: Safe
PH. 8.0
Salinity: 1.026
Temp: 78
Lighting: My lighting is an automatic T5HO light. It has a day, evening, and night cycle automatically set specifically for the tropical time zone and for reefs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it is only on the glass. I thought at first it may of been from the dried seaweed i sank to the bottom for 24 hours but I don't believe so since it seems to grow back.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I'm a little concerned about your params, ammonia "safe". You know that no amount of ammonia, even a trace, is not safe.

I'm thinking you are a little bit premature fir a CUC.

At first I thought the algae was on the rocks and sand, but after reading your comment and looking closer I see it is on the glass. I'm thinking common hair algea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I say safe because i have a constant tester located in my tank. It reads, safe, alarm, warning, dangerous. Mine has consistently been at safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of curiosity i tried to remove it with my hand, you can virtually not feel it on you're hands and slips straight out of your grasp.The two trochus snails are eating it but just not keeping up. Maybe 1 Turbo snail?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I say safe because i have a constant tester located in my tank. It reads, safe, alarm, warning, dangerous. Mine has consistently been at safe.
I don't think your tank has started cycling then if it's only 2 weeks old and you haven't seen an ammonia spike. I would hold off on the CUC until you see the nitrogen cycle complete, ammonia - nitrite - nitrate, each of these should spike in that order.

·
Banned
655 Posts
I have a thread up top to read about it

leaving it in your tank=bad regardless of the stage, google bryopsis

it has nothing to do with the stage your tank is in, this can hitchhike in any time

better act in some way, dont have to use my threads way but at least you'll see many pics of what not acting looks like in 2 mos.

·
Banned
655 Posts
is that not on the rock!!! wow illusion I totally thought it was rock growth. never seen one like that before. yep, scrape if thats how it is. the point being, by tomorrow the tank has none. wow on the effect. looked like little plantlets dotting the rockscape, I was truly headscratching to figure out how bone white rock was doing that.

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
excessive nutrients + light = algae

less nutrients + less light = less algae

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Just get a glass sponge cleaner and clean it off. Or a magnet cleaner, those are nice since you don't have to get your hands in the water. It is a new tank, weird stuff usually pops up with that kind of thing..:) After the tank cycles completely and is more established it shouldn't grow as bad on your glass as it is now, however you still will have to clean the glass every couple days when it gets a little "dusty".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts