The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a terrible time with algae in my 55 gallon reef aquarium. I can not seem to get the coraline algae growing because of all the brown, green, and bubble algae. I have a cleanup crew (blue leg hermits, scarlet hermits, brittle stars, sand sifting star, nassarius snails, cerith snails, arrow crab, lawnmower blenny. What could be causing this problem? Is there something that I can do to treat this problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
There are too many nutrients in your system. The algae is taking in available nitrates and phosphates and using it to continue to grow. You will need to reduce the amount of these things going into the tank, while doing your best to export them. Feeding less with good quality frozen foods, heavy skimming, and more frequent water changes can help. A lot of manual labor will also be needed to begin plucking out the nuisance algae. It will take you some time, and there will be some discouragement, but you can beat it.

Best of luck!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Need to know more!What are all your water parameters?what type of water do you use for your tank and top-off?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Thanks. I am going to cut down on the feeding and get the skimmer running harder. Thanks for the help. Anything else I can get equipment wise to keep this from becoming a problem in the future?
You could also look into a Phosban Reactor.

BTW just checked out your 75 gallon pics. AMAZING!!! That's what I'm striving for. Gotta get a sump going though. I thing it will really help out my tank.
Thanks! It is not looking anywhere near that good at the moment, as it has been neglected during the last 6 months.

just curious, how long have you had the 75 goin?
I think it may be going on 5 years now.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am just using tap water treated with water treatement(drope pergallon). I was also that it was not a good idea to do it that way. I should be using RO or distilled water. Right? I just ordered some chemipure and phosphorous moving agents to add to my filtration. I alos just ordered a hang on refugium where I am gonna try 2 put some chaeto and othe macroalgae. Hoping this will help.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
To have the most chances of success over the long haul, you will want to use RO/DI water. There are some city municipalities that actually have RO stations where you can go to fill your jugs for free. Of course almost every LFS will sell you RO water as well. If you don't like to be inconvenienced like that, then an RO/DI unit will pay for itself in no time and is well worth the investment.

There are all kinds of things that may be in your tap water that the normal test kits are not testing for and that can cause problems with algae growth as well.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok the suggestions reqally worked and got rid of the green algae. However, it has been replaced by a much faster growing and invassive brom algae. What am I doing/not doing? I have cut back on my feedings, added phosban and chemipure to my filters. I have also started a refugium. My macro algeas should be in Thursday. Hoping that they will help. I have ordered red gracilaris, some caulerpa, ulva, and chaeto macroalgaes to put into it. I have also turned up my skimmer and it is getting like 3 cup of nasty green slimey water out each day. Any suggestions????

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Continue what you are doing. How old is the tank? Every tank will go through a series of algae cycles in the first year (well almost every tank).

·
Registered
129 Posts
algae

I have heard emerald crabs are great for eating some types of algae!

I had a problem myself after a neighbor left the lighting on while i was away.......I bought the crab and he began to munch away! quite entertaining!

v

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
As Tony stated, continue doing what you are currently doing. Your tank is still young and is going to have to adjust to the changes. You did not get the green algae overnight, and all of the problems will not be cured overnight either. It sounds like you have definitely turned the corner and things are moving in the right direction. Just stay on top of it and things will start to clear up soon enough.

Good job so far, keep it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts