The Reef Tank banner

Algae outbreak help

974 views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  IveGotSunshine 
#1 ·
Hi,
I need help urgent. My tank have algae outbreak not sure what type of algae is it (brown look). This happen couple weeks ago, when I change my water it getting worse. It is possible that I change my salt manufacture. I change my salt manufacture about 2 months ago. I have my tank for 8 years. See attached photos, can some one tell me what is it and how to fix this issue. My coral are not doing well with this algae, not sure what may happen next. We need to found out and fix this quick or else everything will not doing good. Please help everyone.

Thanks,

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
If it comes up in a sheet it’s cyanobacteria. I get random cycles of cyano about once or twice a year. I increase my water changes (make sure your water is 0 tds) slightly and it usually goes away in about two weeks. Just make sure to blow off your corals well to keep it from smothering them.

#6 ·
Have you been feeding more lately or changed your power heads? It looks like the one area in the sand is maybe not getting flow, same with that area of coral thats tucked behind the power head. Maybe try decreasing feedings for a while and alter the flow directions on your power heads a bit. I get that brown sludge when I over feed and it always starts on the sand where the flow is low.

#7 ·
more help,
My brown algae doesn't go away. Typically I do water change 30% every 4 weeks and have no issue for more than 4 years. Now I have brown algae and it getting more and more. I try to do 10% weekly but seem like it build up more algae in 1 week so I decide to do 10% every other day. My fishes are fine but some of my coral are not really happy and it seem like they die away and grow on coral, especially coral that grow on the rock (green, 2nd photos top corner). I test my water it seem like all parameter look good. I use GFO, RODI water. I have my light for 2 years and they are LCD light so I don't think issue with light correct. From my understanding that LCD light can last for a long time. Could it be salt mix that I change the brand from Instant Ocean Reef Crystal to Seachem Vibrant Sea?

#8 ·
My tank getting better when turn light off. Once I turn light on it start grow back. Could it be lighting issue but I have this light for only 2 years "Mars Aqua 165W". I read the spec. life span 50,000 - 100,000 hours it mean can last for 4 to 5 years. My coral need lighting I am afraid if I turn lighting off too much coral will die. Can coral live with blue light only. Pleas help

#9 ·
I have brown algae on my sandbed that seems to ‘retreat’ down into the sand every night, only to reemerge when the light comes back on. Whenever I do water changes I vigorously siphon the sand and that helps keep the algae down.

Here’s a pic of it when it was REALLY bad. The whole sandbed was coated in the stuff

Attachments

#10 ·
I don't know anything about LCD lighting still kind of to LED but could you post all your readings,some where your high on nutrients that feed the alea that the light helps it grow,how old is the deep sand bed? Any filters beside the rock and sand bed? Might want to look into uv to help.

#14 ·
I lowered my photoperiod from 10-11 hours to around 8ish hours, target fed my four fish so as little food as possible reached the sand bed, vigorously siphoned the sandbed weekly, and kept a very close eye on my parameters (I did have high nitrate for a little while)
I did do large water changes (20%) for a little while until I noticed that it only made the algae worse for some reason, then I only changed out what little I needed for siphoning.
Here's how it looks now, as compared to before

Attachments

#13 ·
I get that in my tank when i increased food and light. it backs way off with higher flow but the corals dont like it. you an try a cyno killing agent before your next water change and see if that helps. I also got a sand sifting goby to help keep the sand turning in the areas I couldnt increase flow and that helps too. It is still in my tank though

#15 ·
My issue still not solve. It help when I turn light off but my coral not doing well when I turn light off. Right now I try to keep moonlight about 4-5hour and daylight about 2-3hours. I am afraid if I turn light off too long my coral will die so I try to keep some light and try to keep algae down. Currently I try to do water change about 25% weekly. My nitrate detect 2.5, everything else is 0. Now, I am trying to lower my nitrate. Look like 25% water change don't help so my next water change I will try 50%. I am not sure if 50% water change would be too much water change and would be help. Doing too much water change with large amount I don't think that good for the water correct. I heard people are using DSR EZ-Carbon or NP Pellets to remove nitrate. What is your advise on that. Please help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.