The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this and is it normal? I am used to getting algae on the glass but for the last week it is accumulating quickly almost daily. The only difference is lower tank temp and been adding fresh hatched brine(oh I went from doing wc every 2 weeks to every week, also). Its only on the glass. Not on rockwork or sandbed. I have been doing a 20% water change every weekend because I don't have a skimmer and feel better doing more frequent waterchanges. Test are all zero but can't test for phosphates till I get another test kit.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
The coralline on the rockwork and your sandbed criters are prolly keeping the LR and LS from getting covered in algae. The glass is not so lucky.

Adding freshly hatched brine is messy, and could very well be the reason for your algae growth.

Have you tested your RO/DI water with a TDS meter lately? :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used purified water from the store. I havn't found anywhere with the ro/di water here.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Having to clean your glass every couple days (from a light film) is normal.

However...the frequency with which you need to clean the glass is a good way to judge how well your nutrient exporting is going.

Having to clean every 3 is about the norm. Every 6 or 7 days is excellent (good goal if it's a SPS tank). Every day is a sign that you need to do a better job of balancing nutrient imports vs exports. Meaning, either need to feed less, skim more/better, better nutrient removal prior to water changes, more frequent water changes, cleaner/purer top off/WC water, or any combination there of.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have a skimmer so feeding everyday is probably to much? I have 2 fish and some corals as well as a condy anemone. How often would you recommend feeding?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
is there a reason your feeding hatched brine? chris is right, dirty buisness there. maybe frozen?? or cut feeding down to every other day. or even every third day.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a scooter blenny who I havn't gotten to eat the frozen stuff yet. Live babies and the pods is all its eating. The way my hatchery is made all that is going in is the live brine all the egg shells stay in a different container. I'm just going to cut the feeding back some I think I over feed them.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
well, if your trying to get a specialty fish to eat, sometimes you have to deal with the other stuff that comes with it, maybe get a 10 gallon below for a sump and run a skimmer in it? should be able to work that out pretty easy.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how to go about adding sump skimmer to the aquapod with current canopy. I will eventually get a mh fixture and was going to add aqua c remora skimmer then. Would hangin filter help any or just ease up on the feeding?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
hanging filter might help, just make sure you clean it often. very often. what size pod do you have? i bet you can run a small over flow box on it, put a 10 gal in the sump, throw a huge 300 gallon skimmmer in it. never worry about anything after that!! ;)

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I clean my tank about once a week, It is easly and nothing but a hazing on the glass. The longer the tank hads been set up the better it got, It was hard to get off in the early stages and now a magnet will remove it all. We all have cleaning to do, I wait for someone to be coming over and then go to workon it.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the 24 pod but it has an enclosed canopy. I feed small amounts twice aday. Only recently started adding the brine. I think once I cut back on the feeding it will lighten back up. I will definatley be getting skimmer tho cause since I added the extra powerhead all the junk just gets blown around and the filter cant keep up. I already switch out the sponges every 3 days and everytime they are full.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Ok i see that you are feeding twice a day. I would cut back to once a day then goto every other day. I only feed my fish once every 3 days with the exception of the tang i have to add some seaweed for him daily.

Over feeding can lead to problems such has hair algae and cyano. Keep up with the weekly WC's like you are doing and cut back on the feeding. How old are the bulbs on your tank and how long do you run them in a day? If your sponge filter is getting dirty that quick you may want to consider cleaning it daily to export the nutrients.

Tim

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Its the feeding cut back on it maybe cut down on the light cycle a little.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts