The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am having some purple and green algae problems please help i have started feeding only like every 3 days a 1\4 cube of brine to 3 damsels i few have a crabs and a blue knuckle with about close tp 15 lbs of lr and in a 14 gal bio cube oh and some brown and green polyups please help i am also adding meds that f&p told me to add :eek:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i would also like to get a good cleanup crew and some more polyups this is a little tank for my 2 year old son who really enjoys tanks if anyone can help please let me know i would just like to get the tank looking really good and full for him i would also like a pair of percs and a blue tang and maybe a psychadelic blenny

·
Registered
686 Posts
Are the cubes of food frozen food? If yes, do you thaw them out and strain the food out? I had an algae issue from feeding with frozen food and not thawing my food.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
#1 No blue tang or any tang in a nano.
#2 with a 12 gal tank just do more water changes (buy RO water at EWofFish).
you can also add a bag of chemipure & ? need for more flow.
#3 Never add any medication to a reef tank.
#4 Never do anything F&P tells you to do.
I think the problem is your water.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Three damsels in a 14 gallon is pretty full already! Saltwater cannot support as many fish per gallon as a freshwater as the salt takes up space in the water that oxygen might otherwise dissolve in. You may be able to get away with a small blennie or wrasse but that would pretty much be it.

A two gallon water change (with RO or distilled water) every other day for a week or two then weekly ought to clear up the nutrient problem the algae seems to be thriving on. Adding to the clean-up crew with some hermits or snails would help, too.

Are you using any filtration? Do you have a protein skimmer? The skimmer would definitely help as it removes dissolved proteinaceous wastes that are rich in nitrogen and can degrade into ammonia, etc.

Good luck with your aquarium! Rule #1 with saltwater fish is study. Rule #2 is study some more. And rule #3 is read some books on the topic!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.