The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k, got some stuff in the tank, not sure what it is.. any ideas?

this first one, i think looks really cool, but is it safe in the tank. i have this on about 5 or 6 pieces of rock. it grows in small clumps, like a plant. odd. you'll notice it's also surrounded by some fuzzy green stuff. i have the fuzzy stuff on a number of rocks, and on the back wall. but that on the wall usually gets eaten daily by the cowrie, but it does still leave a green film on the wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
next photo is some purple stuff. i'm not sure if it's thick/dark corraline or cyano. i havea feeling it's cyano though, as it's not the same color as any of my coralinne shades. i have this on about 10 different rocks, all in patches like this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
couldn't get a very good pic of this gree nstuff. sort of furry, may be the same thing growing near the plants..

i also havea few small green bubbles, which i assume are bubble alage, but could be grape calurpa, too small to get a pic though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh yeah, this one doesnt need an id, but it's cool :D

this is my one single sole surviving astrea...

notice the pink growth on the bottom part of the shell. i'm really excited that he's growing so big, so fast :D

Attachments

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
thefatman said:
oh yeah, this one doesnt need an id, but it's cool :D

this is my one single sole surviving astrea...

notice the pink growth on the bottom part of the shell. i'm really excited that he's growing so big, so fast :D
Massaging again??? :D :D :D :funny: :funny: :funny:

·
Registered
658 Posts
The green 'fuzzy' stuff could be the beginnings of hair algae or turf algae, but I'm not certain as I'm sure there's tons of lookalike species.

The easiest way to tell if the darker purple stuff on your rocks is cyano is if it has little air bubbles all through it. If not, then it probably isn't cyano. Cyano also grows in a filmy layer and is easily siphoned off the rocks.
I also have some of the darker reddish-purple patches on my rock but like you, I have no idea what it is. :)
It's appears to be an encrusting species like coralline, so in fact it may just be a different variety.

Wish I could help more, but I'm glad to see that your lone Astrea is doing well. :)
I find that the big Mexican turbo snails are great at eating hair algae or turf algae, though they might also eat the little 'plant' things that are growing (and which I think are really cool by the way).

Looks like your rock is maturing really good there. :beer:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
those wirey tufts is what i have been calling maidens hair algae, but i may have been wrong. either that or everyone else is.;) i also like the stuff. it is rather slow growing. and does not spread like the plague.

i think the other stuff is coraline algae. it looks more solid than cyano.

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool!!! i was woried it might be cyano, and was goign to attempt to siphon it off, but figured i better check first :)

yeah that snail gets a 20 minute massage daily :D

i'm really liking all the different algaes in there, specially since this tank wont support corals, due to the copper, i think the algaes give it some nice diveristy. i feel that way for now at least :funny:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks geoff, i'll do that on the next cleaning.

now, as for being a clean looking tank.. sheesh you could have fooled all my visitors!! everyone comments on al lthe algae on the back glass. i try to explain that i leave it there on purpose, and never clean the back, only sides and front. but no one belives me :rolleyes:

i do have some pretty clean and clear water. the cc substrate leaves mcuh to be desired.. now i know why poeple were telling me in the beginning that it had been a bad choice.

here's a ful ltank shot taken earlier today.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well if you have to chisel the algea off it's probably a good thing :D I have orange, green and purple on the rocks. As for the back glass your friends have little idea your time put in every month they just think it's neat, which makes you feel good. Oh and one fat on-line order of rock takes care of ever seeing the back glass because it will take us years before our tanks look like jerel's and we wont mind showing the back glass :beer:

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is glass on the back of the tank??? Man I forgot about that!

;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts