The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen different threads recomending cutting back on lighting to curb or kill algae growth.

I have a 20gallon high nano 6 or 7 weeks old and producing algae faster than my 5 astrae snails and blueleg hermits can cope with it. They are the only critters other than anything in the LR.I am not sure what kind of algae not long yet and bright green.I do have some nice coraline growth I do not want to loose and some orange things sprouting from one of the rocks they are orange and hard. Iwould like to get the algae under control before I start adding corals.

My tank was set up with RO water is fully cycled. My nitrate is less than 10 and my phosphate is undetectable. I do weekly 10% water changes. I currently don't skim trying to decide between Remora & Backpac.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to provide as much info as possible.

MY lights are 2 65w PC's
10000 K 10 hours
Actinic 12 hours

Do I cut back or turn off the actinic the 10000K or both?

How will other things that may be in my rock and coraline cope?

What happens when I resume normal lighting scheduals?

I do not want to take down the tank and brush the rocks as I am afraid of what it may do to anything else growing on the rock also the one piece of rock I did scrub didn't come out to satisfactory.

Hopefully the LFS will be able to get me a Lawnmower Blenny before to long.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and sorry again for the long post.

Frank

·
Registered
14 Posts
hmmmmmm here is my 2 cents

I am not a pro....but I just went through an algae bloom
on my new 90 gallon 5 weeks in now....2 weeks ago it was
algae city beginning... I picked up 3 LARRRRGE TURBO SNAILS
and 10 small hermits and 10 astrea snails...

IN 2 DAYS the algae was 90% GONE!

The TURBO SNAILS ARE MY FAVORITE JANITOR IN THE TANK!
amaaaazing critter..they are HUGE..BUY THE BIG ONES!
up here they sell for 3 for $10 (aint cheap)
but worth every dime....

I also increased my calcium with KENT A AND B and alkalinity....

I reduced the light for a couple of days putting it on only about
3-4 hours a day...

PROBLEM OVER! Tank is 100% with less then 2% of the algae
left and what is there is only food for the critters otherwise I would just take it off with magnet and bye bye....
DOnt want to starve the snails....

I am not an expert but this is what I did and it WORKED PERFECT.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sohoal...all VERY good advise!!!! Thanks!!!! Glad to hear you beat the monster!!!

Horse.....algae blooms are pretty typical in a newly established tank (<1 year). I think you are just going to have to wait it out and keep up with your regular maintainence ie; water changes, etc. As Casey said, a skimmer would be a definite asset in the long run.

patience Grasshopper.:D

Dennis

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks people I picked up an Lawnmower Blenny to-day up in Toronto was actually looking for a skimmer. Big Al's had neither the Remora or the Backpack still not sure which one, leaning toward the Remora because I have heard some not so good things about Rio pumps. I guess I will order on line.

Got A Story For You

I ordered a Lawnmore Blenny from a local store ( 25 miles away )and the fish was due due in this past Friday. I arrived while they were unpacking their order. I told the guy to leave it in the bag it was shipped in figuring I would be home in a half hour and the fish would only be aclimatised once. He said the fish had been in the bag a while and proceeded to scoop a plastic container of water from his tank dumped the bag of water the fish was in through a net and then dump the fish into his container. The fish was virtually spinning. He was astonished when I said I no longer wanted that fish or any other livestock he had to sell. It was all I could do to walk out without completely loosing it.

Frank

·
Administrator
47,624 Posts
Actually thats a fairly common practice in LFS. What happens is that while the fish is bagged and in transit, CO2 from respiration slowly lowers the pH of the water. This is a good thing because ammonia from fish urine and whatnot is a lot more toxic at typical tank pH of 8+
Its toxicity decreases with falling pH. So if you do the float and water swap(time consuming when dealing with large shipment) you run the risk of pH rise causing ammonia related problems, so they usually float and dump, getting the fish into holding tank as soon as possible. The improved water quality (hopefully) is less stress on the fish than ammonia damage(hard on gills and often irrepairable) Kind of an extreme version of large water change when something goes awry in an aquarium and water quality deteriorates to the dangerous point. The good outweighs the bad for the most part.
When you buy a fish and take it home, the pH drop isn't an issue unless you are in transit overnight. Floating to match temp and gradually adding tank water and dumping the old helps reduce stress. FWIW I always try to find out the temp and specific gravity of the stores tanks, and check mine befoire going off to buy. If they are close(esp S.G.) then shorter acclimation times are in order, but a lot of stores run fish tanks at 1.020 or so and cooler temps to keep O2 levels higher(plus it saves on salt)
Personally I am not convinced that its better for the fish long term, but in a store hopefully the livestock doesn't stay long. If theres a wide range difference then I will acclimate longer.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
yup. What Doug said ... :D

Hard to believe/accepot, but an unfortunate reality of the business.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
i would have to agree with Doug1, i was a manager of a pet store for about 5 years. When you get in an order of a few thousand fish ( not including feeder( which were 5000 a week)) we had enough time to set the bags into the tank then start back with the grab and dumb. we never put the water that was shipped into the tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know for a fact that fish did not survive the night.

Another store about an hour away where I have dealt in the past drip acclimatize all their saltwater fish on arrival. I have watched them do it on a couple of occasions. They told me and I am fairly certain I have the numbers right that they keep their inverts and corals at 1.026 and their fish at 1.010 to eliminate any parasites .

Does this sound right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts