The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told so many things by so many people, can all of you tell me the way you aklimate new fish?

I personally take the bag the fish comes in put the fish and the water into a plastic container that I use for my 75g tank, dip half the water out and add 1/2 cup of water from my tank to the existing water in the container every 20min up to about an 1hr.
If I'm doing something wrong could someone please tell me a better way to aklimate new fish?:dance:

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I personally have a 1 gal tank. I put an airline into my tank with a needle valve and start a syphone into the 1 gal tank. (I haven't had to acclimate anything that wouldn't fit into the tank so far. ) Normally what ever it is has a quart of store water and I start a drip at about 1 drop every 3 sec. give or take. After about 30-45 min, I empty out about 3/4 or 1/2 of the water and give it another 30-45 min. Same thing. And I go about 3 times dumping out half the water (I do a 2 gal water change at this time...not nearly enough but I just dumped about 2 or so gal out and might as well try to get a tiny water change in), I dump out most of the water then I release my fish into the tank. (I don't like using nets if I can help it.

Ray

·
Registered
559 Posts
I personaly only acclimate to temp. I honestley think there no one correct way to acclimate considering every ones tanks are different. You should do how you feel best and what you have had luck with. I would be willing to bet only a few acclimate the same way(and most hate how I do it). All I can realy say is over a small course of time get a bowl tank what ever and slowly make your water dominate in the acclimation chamber and you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.