The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
75 is a great tank, plenty of room to grow in.
the tuna blues are great lights. I have a few. Depending on what you plan on keeping will dictate if two on a 75 will be enough. For sold and some LPS it would have enough coverage.
I have never ran a canister filter so all I know is what I have read on maintenance and something you have to stay up with. I know of many people who use them with salt water tank.

Administrator
Any particular direction you're leaning to as far as Corals go......Softies ("THEY"RE THE BEST! 馃榿 "), LPS, SPS? Some Corals like more light than others.....a lot of people keep a 'mix', and find success.

And the whole enchilada about 'canister filters' is that if you don't stay on top of 'keeping them clean, they have a tendency to become 'Nitrate factories'.,,,,,so due to THAT requirement a lot of folks don't speak highly of them......BUT they will work just fine.
Hack

Registered
75 Gallon reef tank
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wife and I have been looking at all the different types of corals. I need to do a lot more research as far as how to control flow and lighting for the different corals as well as placement and how to keep everything happy and "playing nice" together. My main goal for this entire tank with both fish and corals is I don't want to set up anything for failure or with the mindset of "I'll just take it out when it gets too big". I understand corals require fragging/trimming as they get bigger but I want to do everything I can to keep from putting things in that won't be compatible.

So far the ones that have really stuck out to us are: green star polyps and torch corals. My wife really liked the look of the daisy polyp coral and says she wants that. I think for the most part we are really open on the coral side. Obviously looking for easier care things since we are both so new to saltwater.

Registered
75 Gallon reef tank
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know. I know it would be nice to be able to watch coral grow along with the fish instead of just having a bunch of bare rock while we keep adding fish in first

Super Moderator
I looked at you other thread and read you just added water and began the cycle. What method are you cycling your tank. Have you picked up any test kits for saltwater? Ammonia and nitrates are the two important one.

Registered
75 Gallon reef tank
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We just have the filter running at the moment with the rock and live sand in the tank we treated the water with Fritz Complete while we mixed in the salt and then dosing with SeaChem Stability daily. We have not added live rock yet, I'm wondering if that will screw up or just extend the cycling process. We do have a test kit but considering we are only a little over a day into the cycling process I didn't think it made sense to be testing the water just yet.

Super Moderator
Dry rock or live rock I would add now. It will give you the bacteria you need. Depending on the quality and health of the rock. If rock is dry and you have no seed from an existing tank you have a few options. One is bottled bacteria like fritz zyme 9 and a few other options as to bottle bacteria , you can also go with adding a table shrimp fresh, or ghost feed with a fish food. The last to options will take a little time and is how I do it along with a seed from an established tank or actual live rock.
Many options available, I just prefer doing it the way that has worked for me for years.

Registered
75 Gallon reef tank
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will look into that. Out of curiosity I tested the water out of the faucet here with the test kit we have. Ammonia and Nitrites were at 0. PH was 7.8. I understand there are other things that could be in the water that I can't test at the moment. It looks like calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and phosphate are other things I need to be checking.

Is there anything that I am missing as far as chemical levels?

Also this might be something for another thread but looking at setting up a QT tank to help acclimate new additions as well as treat any issues that may come up and I am not 100% what all I am going to need for that. I was assuming smallish 20 gallon tank, heater, small filter to hang on the back and dedicated net and things for this tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts