The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to attemp to plumb my mag 12 through a bulkhead in my sump but gave up after getting microbubbles in my tank by doing this. Ive seen many people set their pumps up outside and would like to do that to make room in the sump to work around in. I was curious on what is the proper/best way to plumb the pump in order to avoid microbubles. I know that I should put an elbow in the bulkhead so the water would be sucked in under the water line, but i dont know if maybe i just glued the pvc wrong. How do you guys do it? Thanks again for the wealth of information.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Many of your microbubbles may come from the overflow water from the display tank into the sump. The additions of bulheads into your sump and having the return pump pickup as far away from the overflow and as deep under the water line would help.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bulkhead is on the opposite side of the overflow input so I dont think that its coming from the overflow. I also turned off the skimmer just to make sure that I wasnt getting it from there. The only thing I can figure is that i must not have a good seal between the sump and the pump or a bad seal between the pump and the return. So what is the correct procedure for glueing pvc? I am using clear pvc glue. Should I be using something else?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I also use the purple primer to clean both ends before connecting, put some PVC cement on both ends, push together and give a 1/4 turn. That's it. Let it cure for 24 hours although it will hold water shortly after glueing.

I would shine a flashlight in your sump to see if you can see bubbles in the water that are being sucked into the pump. This is usually the case and not leaks in plumbing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
mg said:
I also use the purple primer to clean both ends before connecting, put some PVC cement on both ends, push together and give a 1/4 turn. That's it. Let it cure for 24 hours although it will hold water shortly after glueing.

I would shine a flashlight in your sump to see if you can see bubbles in the water that are being sucked into the pump. This is usually the case and not leaks in plumbing.
I do the same when gluing excect I lightly sand the mating pieces for better adhesion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts