The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Air conditioning went Kaput this weekend. It was struggling for a few days and it finally died Yesterday. I have been leaving my lights off during the day (the water temp is hitting 85 degrees with no lights) and turning them on for a few hours in the am (Until water temp goes up to 81 or 82) . The corals and fish seem fine however I know i am sitting on a ticking time bomb. The landlord is in a pissing contest with the AC people However I am cotemplating a window unit. The critter that concerns me the most is my clam, since the fish seem no real ill effects.

Any suggestions besides a cooler.?

Ray

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
r/o ice cubes in the sump in the morning, the lunch then dinner.....I have heard of people doing this before, it will only drop your temp a few degrees but it will really help out I think

Just my 2

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi; I went through this last year in August. Went a whoel week without a/c. My tank temp was 88. One thing you can do is fill 2 liter bottles with water, freeze them and then put them in your sump. I did that and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Evaporative cooling could help you some too. Try to take all the hoods off the system and have a fan blow over the water surfaces. You will just have to add more water to your tank to make up for the evaporation. This will work best if you have a rough surface, so if you were to point a power head so that it breaks the surface, you would get more cooling. That will put air bubble in the tank, though.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am gonna try just that. I am having water bottles frozen as we speak. How long can corals handle the high heat?

Ray

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ray: I think it is hard to say how long the corals can go with the heat...depends on the coral. In my case the xenia started to melt at 88. I used the frozen 2-litre bottles and also went to walmart and got those clip on fans ($10). I raised my hood and had the fans blow air accross the surface. With the fans and ice I got the temp to 84. Things stablized at 84-85 for the week. I also have a clam (deresa) I could run my lights 6-8 hours and keep the tank at 84 using this method. Good luck....I feel your pain.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now it is at about 83 degrees. I turned mylights off, that should stablize a bit. I have a big honker fan blowing across my sump. I have 4 computer fans blowing across the water on my main display. We are buying a window unit as I speak to mount in the living room where both mine and Lisa's display tanks are.

The prop tanks are in the basement and I am debating on starting them back up since it stays in the lower 70's down there.

Ray

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ray1214 said:
The landlord is in a pissing contest with the AC people
Landlord in a pissing contest w/ AC people which could feaibly ruin a few thousand dollars of Livestock --- HMMMMMM

I think I would be in a major pissing contest w/ the landlord. 2 or 3 days to fix the AC is resonable -- after that what ever dies comes off of next months rent.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Lisa just went and priced window unit. In reality they knew it was on the fritz over the last 3 weeks. It just finally died this weekend. I have already informed them that the price of this wall unit is coming out of rent. Mainly because of their failure of actiion until after something goes wrong.

Ray

·
Reefer
261 Posts
Helllo,
Wanted to chime in here. I go on vacation and come back to find both ac units out. I shut off the halide and it stayed cool enough with just my vho's but did get up to 87. So up to a 7 degree swing in one day 80-87. Everything went a week like this and seemed ok. Well long story short we had the downstairs AC "fixed", so I set the halide to turn back on and went to work. Well it wasnt fixed and when I got home the tank was at 88.9, ouch. So I shut all the lights off and got the temp back down, but the next morning flesh was coming off one of my sps colonies. In 48 hours I lost every single one of them. It was a sad day. I had alot of swings going on, but the 9 degree shift did it. I think its obviously better to have as little a swing as possible, but once you get into a 7+ degree swing expect deaths.

Im cutting part of the top of my hood out and replacing it with WeedStop, the tarps that go in flower beds, as this keeps light in but lets airflow out. Should help me in bad situations where something like a blown AC wont kill anything.

GooD Luck,
Dustin

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
you will like having the window ac, so you can better control your tanks temp. i keep my tank room at 67-68 degrees.theres a lot less humidity in the air and a lot more room for error. i only evaporate about 2.5 gallons on my largest tank. i have to heat my tank at night , and i would much rather heat than cool.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My tank has regularly hitting 88-89 since summer started nothing has died from the heat except 2 acros.My clams are ine with the heat and still expand fully,my xenia is also fine-no melting at all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My chiller didnt turn on (power reset it) last week, the neptune said the tank was 91 degrees

didnt loose anything, but I always run the tank at 84 so everything is used to higher temp

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well My AC was fixed yesterday. Looks like no casualities and I am sure my sps and clam will like having their light back.

Ray

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.