The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon reef tank. But there is a Aiptasia in it. It is growing like a weed, but doing no harm. There is only one, so what gives?

I also have tube worms everywhere on my live rock...is this bad?

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!
Tube worms are good :)
Aiptasia is bad it will spread and become very difficult to control eventually

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
get a couple peppermint shrimp, they eat aiptasia!

oh, and WELCOME!!! :wavey:

·
11,345 Posts
if you really want to get rid of aitasia now, and everytime you see one get this. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_medications_joes_juice_aiptasia_majano_anemomes.asp?CartId= It works EVERY time without having to rely on a animal that may or may not eat it.

If there is only 1, get a syringe and inject lemon juice into its mouth. That will kill it also but you dont want to do more than a couple at a time with that method. Joes juice is reef safe, except for your anemones...theyre fine just dont shoot them in thier mouths with it or it will kill them

·
Registered
851 Posts
If its on a rock by itself then you could take it out and run it under very hot water. I dont mean the whole rock, but just where the aiptasia is. I just did this a week ago and have no sign of it anymore.

Sweet! that was my 400th post!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Welcome. If the tank is cycled the peppermints are good to have whether you have aiptasia or not. Other wise joes juice is good, never tried the hot water but seems reasonable.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
jenajet said:
Welcome. If the tank is cycled the peppermints are good to have whether you have aiptasia or not. Other wise joes juice is good, never tried the hot water but seems reasonable.
Dito,but instead of hot water a pasty kalk souluion injected will work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW!!! A group that will actually anwer questions!!! Thanks alot guys..you all helped alot. (my new "reef info" web site!!!)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to TRT.

I bet I know what other big forum you are a member of by that comment.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
yeah this place is great for getting answers. I love it. As far as the aiptasia I had some on a little rock I was able to take out of the tank and took a lighter to it.(the torch one's work best) I never saw another one again.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Hey hey, Welcome to TRT!!! As far as aptasia goes I like the lemon juice method. You can also do the same thing with kalkwasser mix. The idea behind it is that you are drastically changing the internal pH of the animal an......BANG it's dead:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:banana: Thanks guys! I used the "lighter method". It worked like a dream!!!! No more Aiptasia!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Zacho said:
:banana: Thanks guys! I used the "lighter method". It worked like a dream!!!! No more Aiptasia!!
hey, that is what I do!!

works great anf makes you feel good to!!:funny:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts