The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
nice link, geoff! currently they are out of stock. they recommend 1 slug per 10 aiptasia, i could use 1 or 2 for sure. my friend's tank has near 1000 (seriously!) "aiptasians" in his 65gl. tank..... that would require a few dozen i think:funny:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Geoff, have you called them? They're only about 1/2 hr from me, could go check em out for ya.

Lee:beer:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uurt said:
Geoff, have you called them? They're only about 1/2 hr from me, could go check em out for ya.

Lee:beer:
i am so not in the right part of the country for reefing!

i will be interested in one of these. i love nudibranchs. i find them interesting.

i would also be curious to see what else they sell.

G~

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr. Ono said:
buyer beware. lots of claims but how many of these critters actually do what we humans want them to do.
i agree, but nudi's are such a specific feeder. they are generally only able to eat certain animals or plants, sometimes species specific. considering the way these look, being the same colour as aiptasia i am more inclined to believe them. also those bags are polly used to store the nematacysts from the aiptasia. these would be a garantee compared to peppermint shrimps or copperband butterflies.

now the life expectancy could be an issue, just do to old age, some are short lived even in nature. the can reproduce in the aquarium though. so they could be a viable long term solution if the initial population of aiptasia is high enough to support 2 nudi's.

G~

·
Registered
340 Posts
Isn't the specific diet of a nudi a detriment to keeping them long term?

What happens to the poor creature when it has chowed down all the aip's? A slow death by starvation?

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
foobuddha said:

What happens to the poor creature when it has chowed down all the aip's? A slow death by starvation?
That's when you let them stay at a freinds house for a couple of months... ;)

The community foster kids of reefing...

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
foobuddha said:

absolutely! it is important to understand how fast the prey reproduces compared to how fast the predator eats them. in most tanks with a true aiptasia problem, 1 nudi would not starve to death. aiptasia's are quick breeding little buggers. where the crossover point when you can get more than one nudi is, i do not know. i would think 1 per 10 is a little low. i would prolly double that.

as if you could not guess i like mulluscs. i am shooting for a snail, nudi, cleanup crewed reeftank!

G~

·
Registered
133 Posts
Suggestion:

Please fix the pump intakes on the tank before we buy any more "strainable" (eww) critters. I get attached to them, and then curiosity kills the Nudi (or the Sea Hare).

:(

Do we even have any aptasia in the tank?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Suggestion:

Newfiemom said:
Please fix the pump intakes on the tank before we buy any more "strainable" (eww) critters. I get attached to them, and then curiosity kills the Nudi (or the Sea Hare).

:(

Do we even have any aptasia in the tank?
we have a couple. not a lot. i can show them to you later.;)

the hare may still make it. we will know for sure when we get home.

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
ok you know its bad when you have a conversation with your wife about your tank, via TRT :funny:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Berghia post No. 1

and another set of threads...

Breeder's Reg info

I have kept these in the past, and they are quite effective in consuming these pests, however, in the long run, unless the water velocity and flow is low, they will be blown away by the current and become just so many expensive missing-in-action pets... Interesting to breed, you do need to keep a separate feeding stock for them...

Interestingly enough, Eric has stopped working 0n his project for breeding them, as he feels that there are other more effective and less costly means of controlling Aiptasia.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
thefatman said:
ok you know its bad when you have a conversation with your wife about your tank, via TRT :funny:
There's another couple on this board that IM each other from the same room.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts