The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok never had to deal with this. i found 3 small ones on a peice of my LR.

how bad is this?

is it urgent do i need to act fast?

how do i kill it?

the tank is still kinda cycling so i cant add peppermint shrimp right?

kalkwasser, boiling water.....what else?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
you could try to pluck them off but this is not as easy as it sounds. i would not worry if it were me i would just let the tank cycle when it ready add a couple of shrimp later they do a good job and fun to watch during feeding time.

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
as invasive as aiptasia can be I personally would pull the piece of rock and try to get it off. I know some people who like how it looks and let it spread, some cannot stand it. i've not had the problem in a tank yet, but once started it can be hard to control. if you do a search on here you can find lots of threads spelling out removal ideas both natural (livestock) and un-natural (kalk paste injection)...best of luck.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i bought some peppermint shrimp 2for1 at the LFS, they are rearranging everything.

but i think im gonna take out the rock and give it a fresh water bath. 5 minutes at most. take out all the aiptasias and put it back in the tank.

should i take out my cleanup crew 12 turbos and 12 blue leg hermits?
or will they be ok through the die off caused by the rock getting a FW bath?

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
if you already have the shrimp let them do the job after a day or so i could not find a trace of aiptasia

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i might do that to. i must admit im kinda freaking out about theses things. i really dont want them in the tank. but i guess i should give the shrimp a try.

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
if there's only a few of the aiptasia, the shrimp may knock it out and you won't have to hassle with the removal...give nature a day or two to work it out for you. i would guess that a couple days shouldn't cause you any long-term problems.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I posted this in your other thread as well. If the peppermint shrimp don't take care of them then you may want to try Aiptasia X. However, if you are contemplating taking that piece of rock out of the tank, it is extremely effective to use a blow torch on the Aiptasia and then rinse the rock in saltwater before adding it back to the tank. It may sound kind of funny, but :flamethrower: will get the job done. :D

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
if i were a betting man and i am not i would bet that you will have little if any aiptasia left by morning. :thumbup: let us know how it works

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
lol your kidding .......right?
No, I am not kidding. A propane torch will get rid of them completely, without the chance of them leaving behind little pieces for reproduction. :D As I stated earlier though, I would give the shrimp a fair shot at it first. It is not like the 3 are going to turn into 20 in 2 days. 5 days maybe, but not 2. :lol:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
5 days!!!!!!!:bigeek:

man this sucks. im gonna do that on wed. when i get off the fire dept. if the shrimp havent done there work. will that restart a cycle in the tank if i put the rock right back in?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Okay, perhaps 5 days was an exaggeration. :D

It will not hurt anything to put the rock back into the tank, as it will not have been out of the water that long and the bacteria lives inside the rock. You take the rock outside with a little bucket of tank water. Blow torch the Aiptasia until you are sure they are gone, it will smell kind of funky. Thoroughly swish the rock around in the bucket of water, and then place it back in the tank.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
mike i sense some hostility, i bet you wish you could do that to the nudis.:angry:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, perhaps 5 days was an exaggeration. :D

It will not hurt anything to put the rock back into the tank, as it will not have been out of the water that long and the bacteria lives inside the rock. You take the rock outside with a little bucket of tank water. Blow torch the Aiptasia until you are sure they are gone, it will smell kind of funky. Thoroughly swish the rock around in the bucket of water, and then place it back in the tank.
copy that! ill get on that when get off shift.:thumbup:

who would have thought. maybe i wont have to if the peppermint shrimp work. i wont be home till tommorow evening so we shall see ill keep you updated.

you got nudis in your tank?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Aiptasia X worked great for me. I waited too long though to get rid of them. There were 3 big ones that got even bigger over 3 months time. They had seeded so many parts of the rock by the time i wasted em. Now i have quite a few little ones dominating a flat 2-3 square inches of rock. I dont know if their presence there is inhibiting the growth of anything else but I figured id see how the Aiptasia X worked on little stuff anyway. Dont care to have em in my tank at any size. They get brown n scraggly lookin and the idea that they spread so quickly makes me wanna waste any lil ones.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
:lol: No hostility Chris, I just wanted to make sure once I killed them they were not coming back. You know, I probably would have tried it on the nudis if it wasn't for the fact they hide right where the coral touches the live rock. They are smart in that aspect as torching them would mean torching the coral.

Gouch, I had a problem with montipora eating nudibranchs in my tank for a while. My yellow canary wrasse is now the defender of my reef and has done a darn good job of eradicating them. I have a thread on here about the battle I had with them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
:lol: No hostility Chris, I just wanted to make sure once I killed them they were not coming back. You know, I probably would have tried it on the nudis if it wasn't for the fact they hide right where the coral touches the live rock. They are smart in that aspect as torching them would mean torching the coral.

Gouch, I had a problem with montipora eating nudibranchs in my tank for a while. My yellow canary wrasse is now the defender of my reef and has done a darn good job of eradicating them. I have a thread on here about the battle I had with them.
Mmm.. maybe I should consider gettin a defender myself. Instead of using the Aip X. I didnt know there were reef friendly Aiptasia cleaner uppers. So canary wrasses (other wrasses too i guessing?) and peppermint shrimp will do it eh? Anything else? As far as shrimp go, some clowns and a large sailfin wont mess with em right?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts