The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to start culturing aiptasia and want to see if anyone know where can I get some to start, or if somebody want to get rid of some and send them to me .....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm trying to start culturing aiptasia and want to see if anyone know where can I get some to start, or if somebody want to get rid of some and send them to me .....
See my thread entitled what is this and how do I kill it. Aparently I am the world's greatest aptasia farmer.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
See my thread entitled what is this and how do I kill it. Aparently I am the world's greatest aptasia farmer.
There is someone here in St. Louis that would probably love to have yours as well Steve.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
in all seriousness I hear that they thrive in poor water conditions and are a sign of excess nutrients. But I hear lots of stuff. I know personally I had a lot in a poorly maintained tank but have seen them in well maintained tanks as well. At the very least they seem to be unaffected by poor water params.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
and maybe try to slice and dice one in the tank? I tried to pull one out when I first started and they seemed to multiply faster after that. I think they release anti-death goo or something :)
Are you going to farm berghias?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trying to farm berghias .. just like you said:thumbup:

But need to figure out how to make aiptasia grow faster ... so they don't starve

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have couple of them that I can just get off of glass in my ref. but that's not alot ... and don't want to buy ber... until I have some food for it . Those things get expensive and you can't even see them...

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
http://www.berghia.net/aiptasiaBiology.html
according to the link they can regenerate from a single cell. So scraping and dispersing the ones you have should cause many more to be started. I would keep the water a little dirty to provide more food. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
any tank can be maintained w/o a skimmer. Many nanos don't use skimmers and maintain corals w/ frequent water changes. If you are not trying to maintain pristine water conditions then I see no real need for a skimmer. The article even mentions that low quality water encourages the aptasia to reproduce. This is not an uncommon strategy. If you want and apple tree to produce apples you can cut it up some and scare it into thinking its going to die and needs to pass on its DNA pronto.... same idea I believe. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
no need to skim, make the system high-nutrient, low-maintenance, moderate (read as Normal Output fouorescents) lighting. You might try blenderizing one or two of them, squirting the blender mix into y9ur brookinug tank, and allowing the blenderized mush to settle in the tank for 24 hours. You should probably line the bottom of the tank with reef rubble (on which the aiptasia will settle) so y0u can keep an aptasia brood tank to pull Aiptasia-covered rubblerock out of the brooding tank to go into the bergia brooding tank to feed the berghia, keeping your brood tank for the berghia broods separate from the aiptasia food source...

Just a suggestion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts