·
Registered
127 Posts
thats alot and they spread fast um :2gunsfiring: KILL EM:flamethrower:
ive heard people had success with pepermint shrimp eating them

·
Registered
189 Posts
Peppermint shrimp or butterfly fish. The butterflies might go after coral, although some people have had luck with copperbands, if your tank is fairly new get peppermint shrimp because butterflyfish are quite difficult to keep.

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
Peppermint will be good for a mass like that. But if you want to do it manually, just get some aptasia-x

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
Peppermint shrimp do work but I have found you need to have at least 3 of them. Whenever I did just one they left it alone, but as soon as I added more they ate it. I think it has to do with competition for food.

I have not used Aptaisa-x because I don't like adding caustic chemicals to my tank. However, I have read that it works very well but can burn your hand, or burn other corals that it comes in contact with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am fighting a losing battle too. I have 4 pepps in a 44 gallon and they have not touched the aiptasia. My LFS has Joe Juice. Might pick some up today and give it a try. Will post results tonight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I read injecting supper hot water into them. I never tried it, but I know someone who pulled out her live rock, and got some hot water(ro/di) and put some drops with a baster where the anemones were. There were only about 6 or so, and she could easily remove the rock. It worked though! You just have to be really careful because you do not want to kill all the coraline algae and good bacterias/pods by using too much water!

·
Registered
127 Posts
i heard someone say they where gonna inject them with vinegar but that sounds like a horrible idea to me maybe someone should reserach it

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
I have had success using concentrated lemon juice. You put it in a small diabetic (22 gage) syringe and inject it into the base of the Aiptasia. It's all natural and the amount used is so small it doesn't affect the tank. However, if you have more than a couple of Aiptasia any injection method is terrible to try and accomplish.

That's why I put things in my tank that eat them!

·
reef addict
350 Posts
I had a few in my tank not so long back. First off i tried the o'l injecting them with lemon juice method {to do this- purchase a syringe from your local pharmacy, get lemon juice and inject a fair ammount directly into the stem} but because of the position on the rock i couldnt get to the stem, so i purchased aiptasia x, it works really well and it doesnt harm corals-well it didnt harm mine. One squirt of the stuff straight into the mouth of the aiptasia will get rid. make sure all powerheads and water movement is turned off when treating for about 20 mins. Also because of the large number dont do all of the aiptasia at once, do half then next day finish em off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was actually able to get rid of them by injecting plain old lemon juice (about 1-2mL) into the hole where it was living. I also tried injecting it with a syringe filled with my liquid calcium dose for the week. There is no trace of them anymore! If you do use lemon juice don't inject too many at a time (about 5 per session) because the lemon juice might mess with pH.

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
I was actually able to get rid of them by injecting plain old lemon juice (about 1-2mL) into the hole where it was living. I also tried injecting it with a syringe filled with my liquid calcium dose for the week. There is no trace of them anymore! If you do use lemon juice don't inject too many at a time (about 5 per session) because the lemon juice might mess with pH.
That works very well and is all natural. That's how I do it if I just have a few. Now I keep at least 3 peppermint shrimp in each tank and they eat them. I know people have mixed luck with peppermints but I think it has to do with the number of them kept as a ratio to gallons of water.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think it just depends on the shrimp and how long he has been eating flake food. I only needed 1 shrimp and he completely eradicated all the aiptasia except the big ones that i had to zap with aiptasia X. Have heard that some LFS sell camelback shrimp as peppermint shrimp and they are completely different.

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
There is also a cold water peppermint shrimp that sometimes gets mistakenly sold and will generally die after not too long in the tank, they look almost identical to the tropical variety but don't eat aiptasia.

Camelback shrimp are not reef safe, if an LFS tries to pawn them off on you as peppermint shrimp don't go back there! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
ive heard that if you inject it w/ lempon juice they explode and die!:hammerhead:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts