The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering that:
- DT is fishless for at least 8 weeks.
- DT has no additions for at least 8 weeks (i.e. livestock, LR/LS, used equipment, algae).
- All fish were properly cured in QT, using one of the working methods (hyposalinity or copper).
- There was no cross contamination between QT and DT (water, nets, basters, buckets, wet hands between tanks, etc.).
<O:p</O:p
If all of the above were met (and Mr. Murphy does not read this post :cool:), DT and QT should be marine ich free.
<O:p</O:p
To keep the DT ich free, I have picked up few ideas from various sites:
- New inverts (corals, CUC), Live Rock, shall be quarantined in a fishless QT for a period of at least 8 weeks from the last newly added item in QT. The water shall be in normal conditions (salinity, temperature, pH, nitrates, dKH, calcium, etc).
- Equipment from an ich contaminated system shall be sterilized or quarantined for at least 8 weeks in a fishless QT.
- New fish shall follow a complete ich treatment (cure + verification). Water parameters shall be according to the method selected (hypo-treatment or copper).
- There will not be any cross contamination between QT and DT during the above treatments.
The reason I am writing this is because I learned that treating ich is not fun and I would like to see if I missed anything.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Sounds pretty much like everything I have read.

My Semi new Gramma got ich last week. (He had only been in the tank a week and I did a massive cleaning) He got a bit stressed and had a outbreak. I kept my hands out of the tank and continued my normal feeding maint. after 2 days he was ich free and very happy.

So far I like the happy no stress route. But I have few fish and no real big aggressors, so its easier. I have a cleaner shrimp also, but the gramma and him are not on speaking terms. If the clowns get even a speck of sand stuck on them they run over to the shrimp to get it removed though lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts