The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK those are the 3 options I have Home( trash can) in my back yard in a 2 acre pond, Or at a friends proplerty on a Huge lake whats the best Option and why and About How long will it take to cure( will it be quicker in a huge lake)? also I have heard about mixing some rit dye in with a loose agrocrete mixture and dribbling it on the rock so It looks like coraline from the get go, any opinions? thanks for any help on this.:cool:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
how much? if it is just plugs, put them in the commode tank...

·
Administrator
49,124 Posts
Curing it in a pond or lake , I dont see is going to speed up the process, plus introduce all manner of FW organisms that will die off when you change it over to SW

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i've been looking more into making some aragocrete rocks too.. specially if..well....when i build the big tank.

i didnt understand the purpose of curing in fw, when the rocks will be used in sw. all of the fw stuff is just going to die off, so wouldn't it be better to cure in a garbage can with sw instead?

doug and cyberchef seem to be touching on the same thing.

as for the rit dye, sounds like a great idea, if it's possible. or what about even using plain old food coloring? i like the idea of giving it a little color to start off with..

anyone else have any clue?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
thefatman said:

i didnt understand the purpose of curing in fw, when the rocks will be used in sw. all of the fw stuff is just going to die off, so wouldn't it be better to cure in a garbage can with sw instead?

what about even using plain old food coloring?

You cure in FW because there is no reason to waste the salt. All your trying to do is allow the "lime" to leach out of the plugs so that you don't send your tank's PH through the roof.

Regular food coloring is water based/soluable (get it yet??? :p :D ) The color would leach out with the lime during the "cure" process. If you used "rit" dye, provided it's safe to use, then when you first start to soak the plugs you could add vinegar to the initial soak water and set the dye. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, it willl cover with coraline fast enough that the dye, seems to me at least, would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
ahhhh now i understand.. i didnt know about the leaching lime.

i guess it would have been less confusing had i not been mixing it with "live rock curing" to get rid of dead organisms.. i thought the curing process was to get organisms growing on it :)

so, i havea big creek behind my house, sounds like i could jsut dump the rock in there when i make it..

thanks for the clarification on the food coloring :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK cool I guess I will just use 2 30 gal trach canc( actually I think I have 50 gal trashcans, Yea I was told By many other reefers the rit( clothing dye) was safe in that it dosent leach out and its non toxic as it has to be for it to dye clothing( next to skin), I will prob start within the month so By the time the Plywood tank is done Everything will be ready crap I'll just sit the trashcanc on the side of the House( with lids, no need to encourage misquitos) and every weel just drop the hose in and overflow the cans and Presto New water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.