The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 29 Biocube, I had 2 small chromis and one medium yellow tail damsel (who is kinda aggressive) it always chases the 2 Chromis around if they swim deeper towards the rocks and corals

Anyway, I passed by my local store after he sent me a text saying he got a new shipment. I got a fire shrimp and a medium Regal Blue Tang.

After finishing the adaptation and conditioning, I released them both into the tank. The Damsel went ballistic on the poor tang, battering it with its tail and pushing it around. Today is the 3rd day and the tang kinda got the point to try and stay away from the damsel.

The fire shrimp however, was a quick victim of a crab problem I am having (hitchhikers, not hermit crabs) within 2 hours I found the fire shrimp not moving and when I tried to get him out with the net I found a small crab catching him by his tail and trying to pull down the meal I was trying to snatch away.

I am surprised how it died in 2 hours, plus it had no signs of attack by the crabs or anything, only its tail was a bit bitten .. I have no problems with water quality and the fish and corals are fine

I am really pissed off at the crabs, any idea how to get rid of these fast and illusive critters? They always hand inside the live rock and under it so its not easy .. even if I want to remove the damsel because of its attitude, its also not an easy catch ..

Thanks all

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
First and for most your tank is 150 gaks to small for a blue tang. Minimum tank size is 180 gals. Secondly damsels are littke axe murderers id get him out and see if your lfs would give you credit for him. Lastly have you tryed to catch your hitchhiker. Or figured out what they are

1 - 2 of 2 Posts