The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few days ago we added a pair of baby Nearly Naked Percula Clowns to our 125 gal reef. Awesome, right? :banana:
What's not so awesome is that our Gregory Damsel, who is only a little bigger than our baby clowns, has been harrassing them relentlessly, and we're afraid it's going to kill them. Since seeing this, we've actually started to suspect that he's the culprit of a couple of other fish's deaths in our tank.:(
Soooooooo..any advice on how to remove him without breaking down the entire tank? We had to do that the last time we decided to remove a fish, and we'd like to try to avoid stressing our other fish further. We tried mysis shrimp in our big net, but our Desjardini Tang just swooped in and ate it all.

I swear, fish know when you're specifically trying to catch them..ugh.:arg:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am with you on this one...I have a yellow tail that is a bully to anyone smaller or equal to his size. It sucks that the cheapest fish I have is the one to watch out for.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
go on youtube and look for how to trap an aquarium fish. There are videos of people making the bottle traps and apparently they work great.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to hijack a thread, but I thought it was an appropriate place. I've seen completely red nets for sale, the packaging proclaims "Fish can't see red!" While that is pretty much a true statement, methinks the fish would be smarter than that. Anyone used these?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Ive gotten 5 fish out with the 2 liter bottle trap. Basically, cut hole off the top of the bottle just big enough for the fish to swim through. Then cut off the enitre top, about 2 inches down from the end of the "coned" section. Next, add some food inside th trap and flip the cut off section around and slide it into the main tube so that it looks like the picture. Finally, place in the tank (you may need to hold it down with rocks) and sort of guide the fish into the trap with food. then Presto! you have a trapped fish!

hope this helps!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I removed mine by sticking the net in the water during feedings. The fish that I have remaining will swim right into the net if the food is there. Took awhile for the wary Damsel though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts