The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... yesterday I brought home a baby Hippo tang for my 125.... did a W/C earlier that day, acclimated the fish for about an hour after turning the lights off and also kept the lights off for the remainder of the day. He initially took to the tank very well, was picking at the rocks and swimming around for a couple of hours before going to bed. This morning I found him in the same area where he slept, but swimming "into" a hole in a rock.... I've been watching him do this for about 8 hours now! The lights have been on for about 4 hours now, and them coming on didn't seem to affect his behavior. The only other occupants in the tank are a pair of clowns and a cleaner shrimp who stay glued to the opposite side of the tank and a bunch of snails and corals. Harassment isn't an issue, and water parameters are perfect.

Surely he's stressed and I want to let him be, but I'm scared that he'll starve in there. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I would wait a few days and see how things play out. I don't think it is uncommon for fish to hide on and off for the first week.

In terms of food, he will be fine for a few days. :)

Keep us informed of how he's doing!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
just put one in on the 25th the results were not good i had to scoop him out on the 27th :( mine was really small. i hope you have better luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts