The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

found an 80g (48 x 16 x 24) tank with starfire front glass on the local Clist for $160...think if I could get it for $100-125 it would be worth it? i'm wanting to move up from 55g, and it would be a great excuse to re-do my build...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
that sounds ok, but what do you want?? an 80 is not that much bigger and 16 inches wide is not very wide. you have a 55 already how big do you want to go?

·
Mantis
2,138 Posts
Hi folks,

found an 80g (48 x 16 x 24) tank with starfire front glass on the local Clist for $160...think if I could get it for $100-125 it would be worth it? i'm wanting to move up from 55g, and it would be a great excuse to re-do my build...
16 inches in height right and 24 deep front to back?

for a $100-125 ide defiantly go for it :D

·
Crawfish
847 Posts
I agree with fchidsey if you want to go bigger then wait. If not then go for it. But you can never have a big enough tank.

·
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
originally wanted a 24" front to back, the 55g i have now is 13" front to back. this one is 16", not a lot of improvement, but the starfire front makes me curious, right now the extra couple inches plus the time to drill it out and build a coast to coast overflow make me interested...wondering about the price and relative value of the starfire glass, seems like a piece 48 x 24 is worth an extra $100 retail...more opinions?

·
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But you can never have a big enough tank.
isn't that the truth, but i am a clarity freak, i clean my glass inside and out everyday...wondering if this would make me as happy as the extra 8"...

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I would wait. When I was tank shopping for a used tank I looked at many. It sounds to me like you want a larger tank, if so you are not going to be happy with another 3 inches of depth.
IMHO save your money for what you want.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I would take more front to back depth over starfire glass anyday.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Wait for the wider tank, I think it is the width dimension that yields the best aquascaping possibilities. Starfire is nice space is better.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
so what was the end result??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts