The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

It's getting down to 10 months until I'm out of here and moving back to MI. Thinking that the best thing to do is upgrade my tank from 75 to over 120 (maybe 180, maybe 240--that'll be pricy though). I was thinking it would be best to upgrade and have a new tank set up when I move. My tank is getting so overgrown and the corals are actually running out of room with the tank I have now.

Question: how hard is it to fix a leaking glass tank? Saw this on ebay....of course I will need to upgrade ALL equipment to a larger tank but just curious if a leaking tank is fixable (especially if I take it in to someone who can fix it?).

http://cgi.ebay.com/OCEANIC-240-GALLON-AQUARIUM-NEEDS-REPAIR_W0QQitemZ280016151424QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
11,345 Posts
If its not damaged otherwise michelle thats a ok price and can be fixed by someeone who know what they are doing for $2-300 or so(TOTAL guess), i know what i would charge if I fixed them often. Fixing it will entail taking it apart and redoing EVERY seam, overflows and all, if your going to do it right. Im assuming its glass because it looks like it but i didnt see them note that.

Keep in mind (if im reading the numbers right) that a 37 inch deep aquarium is a major PITA to aquascape in and doesnt give nearly as much reef as a shallow 240, as well as takes more light to get to the bottom. I would forego it if i were you. Deep aquariums are better for fish only tanks IMO.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
that is a tall tank. great for fish, not so hot for corals.

like Fly has said, the tank should be completely taken apart and resealed. putting silly cone over the leaky place will not work! it will actually be even riskier. the tank instead of leaking next time will just give way. :(

G~

·
Administrator
46,681 Posts
That doesn't sound like a standard 240, maybe a custom, hence the original price, The seller suggests a reptile tank , that makes me REALLY LEERY :(

If you are going large dont skimp on the tank Michelle

·
Administrator
46,681 Posts
"A: Oceanic only makes Glass Aquariums. This Aquarium was only six months old. It was placed into an opening that was to tight. Glass tanks expand very little compared to Acrylic tanks. So bottom front started leaking as this was only way for it to go.Tank weighs about 350 pounds or so.No scratches or breaks."

Good decision, the "leak" sounds strange, but the weight to ship would jack the cost up to near retail

1 - 7 of 7 Posts